Value of Powered Pedal boards?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FennRx, Mar 21, 2015.

1. FennRx

FennRx Member

are they worth using? I like the idea of idiot proof/ plug and play.

Is a used Furman worth buying? Or should I suck it up and get something like a Pedaltrain and a Voodoo?

Right now I'd be looking to put my ME-50, EP Booster, Guvnor and KoT on it. I might add an EQ or something if room permits.

Experiences and recommendations welcome.

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Pedaltrain and Voodoo. Don't gamble with power supplies and don't compromise on form factor.

3. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I wouldnt say that powered pedal boards are anymore idiot proof than buying a dedicated power supply, you can still make bad connections, and if you ever get an odd pedal in the future, it might be hard to come up with a way to power it, unless your fine with using wall warts on your board like the furman offers, but others like SKB, typically don't have wall outlets on them. Another point, I dont think the curtesy outlets offer a lot of current, so don't plug your amp into them or you might be asking for problems, I know this is the case with the curtesy outlet on the PP2+.

Id go with a pedaltrain, or similar unpowered board, and then buy the supply you like/need. Check out cioks, they are another good brand besides VL that offers a lot of different power supplies.

4. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

Those boards with the power supply and patch bay built into the top of it are notoriously unreliable as well as heavy. They have been outdated for a long time now. You could still go DIY for the board, a piece of plywood is pretty much all those furmans are, and you could get a PP2 used. They are really reliable, mine has to be 8 or 9 years old (pre + version) and it still functions perfectly.

5. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

You only get out of it at the end what you're willing to put into it up front.
    Your time spent studying and applying what you learn will come back around and pay off for you.

6. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Most of the all in one boards don't use isolated power supplies, that's enought to keep me away from them.

8. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I was wondering about this as well. If they are no isolated power it's not worth it.

9. FennRx

FennRx Member

some good info for sure. thanks guys.

10. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Agree with the outdated remark made earlier. Once pedal train established itself as the board to get, you don't see ads for the all in one boards anymore. Most of us get a good board and figure out what we need for power. Much better solution, and as others said, most all in ones have cheap unisolated power, which in today's use, is a bad idea.

11. FennRx

FennRx Member

Well gentlemen, thanks to your advice I now have a pedaltrain and voodoo power supply heading my way.

The Furman I was spying was around $100, so I spent quite a bit more for this stuff. But superior quality and peace of mind is worth it. And it will be ready to go for my upcoming gig in 13 days! :beer

12. 8len8

8len8 Member

It's basically convenience at the cost of complexity.

13. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i've been using furmans for about 7 yrs; i've replaced them once every 2-3 years, for safety's sake:
    mine get banged around by baggage handlers & shippers like crazy.
    i've watched each of them get thrown off planes (from, well, real heights) many times.

i don't use the power, much, and i'd NEVER patch my audio path through it.
    as a case, though?
    it's handy for travel, though..... lightweight, realtively heavy-duty for cheap crap --- no damage other than some loose screws, in all these years --- & its built into a roller-case.

now looking at other solutions, like a temple board with a rolling stompin' ground (or pelican) case, or something like that, etc.

14. yawiney

yawiney Member

I always thought Furman was well known as a high quality power conditioner. I've seen them in racks in recording studios. I'm also pretty sure the one in the board that powers all the pedals is the same. That being said, I just upgraded from a Furman to a Temple as i was just sick of the velcro mess taking pedals on an off. The 1st Furman went from '98-2007 when I played 1st on Fri of a Festival and the mainstage sent out bad power. Fried the board and my only amp fuse(always have a hide a key stuck to the back of my speaker now with fuses) but the Furman saved my pedals! Festival bought me a new one and that one is still working great. No problems with them. I always used the on-board power and the 3 courtesey outlets are something I already miss for things like my 15v. Echolution 1.
    I never compared the sound of the non-isolated Furman power to an isolated supply. Hope it's an upgrade that justifies having to find a way to plug in that 15v.

15. deathbyBONK

deathbyBONK Member

I used the SKB powered board mentioned above for several years.

It works. That's the most glowing praise I can really offer.

It's not super convenient. And I feel like a pedaltrain is the ultimate waste of money. DIY and power supply is the way for me.