1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

value of tone cap on vintages style strats

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by buddastrat, Jan 15, 2008.

1. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I have a vintage style Fender strat and wondering what I'd notice if I change the cap. I usually roll off a little high end even for the neck pickup. But could I use a different cap so that I could just leave the tone control full up and have it be a bit darker like I want?

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

What value does it have now? The correct vintage value is .1uF.

Many people put smaller values on them now, apparently because they think the .1 rolls off too much top-end, but I find this odd when by common agreement the old guitars sound better... :)

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I don't know John, it's a CS 69 though. It can get real dark if I take it all the way down on the tone knob. But it sounds real good around 5-6. Would any cap change make a difference when the control is left full up, with different values?

I'd rather have it sound the way I want with the knob up full, just so it's consistent and don't have to mess with the tone knobs and keep tweaking them.

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Not much, no.

In that case you need to either add a second fixed resistor to limit the (electrical) travel of the tone pot, or...

... change the pickups. The CS '69s are really bright, to me.

Or use a long curly cable :). Yes, I'm totally serious.

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yes, I know about the curly cable, I just never get around to buying one. I may just change around some pickups. thanks John.