Value of warranty on a new pricey guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by patentcad, Jan 21, 2012.

1. patentcad

patentcad Member

I presume a Gibson/PRS/Fender etc. warranty extends only to the original retail purchase. If that is indeed the case, many of these guitars offered for sale on ebay or from places like Mark's Guitar Loft carry no warranty. Now in my long experience buying and selling pricey guitars, I've never seen this as a cause for concern, but it is quite arguable that warranty is worth something.

Should I be concerned about that? One seller on eBay told me that wasn't a big deal when I broached the topic, and in my experience I'd have to concur. It does seem to me you're giving up some protection if you drop a similar price for a guitar from Mark's vs. my local store, all because he has a killer looking piece that I covet : ).

If you get the guitar and it plays ok the day you receive it, I don't think that's going to change beyond a simple set up if the guitar is never damaged, right? Or not right?

2. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Extended warranties are never worth it (if you compare the chance you'll need to use it vs. the cost). I've been refusing extended warranties for probably 25 years, and have saved thousands of dollars doing so (not just on guitars, but everything). In that entire time, I've never needed to use one anyway.

3. fumbler

fumbler Member

+1 you can think of them as the newbie-guitar-buyer-tax.

I'd consider them when buying electronics or a car. Maybe. Actually, probably not. But never for a guitar. Guitars are just too simple to inexplicably fail after the manufacturers warranty runs out.

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

third party/extended warranties are rarely worth it imo (though 3 of the 5 automotive extended service contracts I've bought have paid off in my favor, in one case ('01 Audi A6) hugely so)...

but on a new Gibson, a factory warranty is something I'd like to have imo, based on having bought a few terrific new Gibsons after weeding through the spotty QA/QC, etc., and hearing about neck issues on another manufacturer I don't need to name hear (not G, F, PRS, etc.).

So ... it depends. I do think a factory warranty is worth something though it varies dep. on manufacturer, model, etc., to some degree.

5. patentcad

patentcad Member

Who said anything about extended warranties? I don't know how you got that from my post. I'm talking about any warranty on a pricey guitar you buy from some of these websites. I presume if you drop $5K with Mark on a Guitar Loft R9, and then a month later you discover a crack in the top, Gibson will tell you that you are out of luck, because the warranty only applies to the original retail purchaser.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Could become a problem.

6. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I don't know where he got extended warranties, either so forgive my opinion ;-o

Any particular insight you want? You have it right, the warranty is to the original purchaser IIRC and given what I've seen of Gibson QA/QC, I'd want that warranty/it is worth something (I say that as the owner of 3 great '01 Historics and another great recent 355, none of which have needed warranty work, but consistency is not their strong point).

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

There is no warranty on any guitar you buy off the bay, lol.

Even if YOU buy a NEW Gibson Les Paul w/warranty, you got 15 days to get that baby registered and warranteed.

8. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Member

Definitely, also make sure to get the undercoat sealant and rust proofing.