Valve Tech amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MATH YOU, Feb 20, 2006.

1. MATH YOU

MATH YOU Member

has anyone heard these? i hear they are the ****. any opinions would be great!
    thanks

2. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

i have a valvetech hayseed custom '05 model and a vac 50 watter ('05 too, iirc). they are fantastic amps and great values too. hand built, high attention to detail and rob will make just about anything within reason.
    here are mine....
    [​IMG]

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

Do a forum search on "valvetech" (not "valve tech") and you'll find many, many posts discussing their amps.

4. bscepter

bscepter Member

Love mine. Best deal out there on hand-built amps. Like the man said, do a search -- there's plenty out there on VT amps.

5. mkg

mkg Member

I noticed a mention of mp3s on the Valvetech site, but can't seem to find them. Anybody know what gives?

6. thecajunboy

thecajunboy Member

I had one for a while and couldn't for the life of me figure out what there was that so many seem to like. A couple buddies of mine sat and spent a day with it but we couldn't find a reason to keep it around at its price point. The guy I sold it to loves it though. Guess it just wasn't my cup of tea, but from my experience, it would serve you well to try and play one before buying.

7. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    The amps all come with a 10 day trial period if you buy them new. Dont like it? just return it for a full refund - shipping.
    Rob

8. mkg

mkg Member

Hi Rob, are you planning to post mp3s on your website?
    Thanks,
    Mark G.

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

Which model? I know Rob's earlier 22w amps had some teething issues early on, which were fixed a while ago. The new Hayseed series are simply dead-on copies of the JMI AC30, which, though loved by many, is not to everyone's taste. Personally, I love mine.

In any case, you might consider trying one out. As the man said, he's got a 10-day return policy.

10. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

11. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    I have a Valvetech 50 watt EL34 Head and Combo!!!..I adore these amps..Want to get a 22 next...Here's a clip of the 50....go to www.motorkings.com then go to music, and the guitar tone in Cold Sweat is the VAC 50...It's WICKED......

12. bscepter

bscepter Member

Okay, here are some clips. I hesitate, because they're pretty crummy -- I did them very quickly, just with an SM58 close mic'd in my basement, which has the worst acoustics in the world. I swear, the amp sounds much bigger in person...

So, with those caveats, here goes:

SG (P90s) EF86 blended w/TB
    Tele Clean

By the way, that was my old SG Classic. I now have a Standard with a BurstBucker Pro in the bridge that I like even more. Also, I got rid of the Mexican p'ups in the Tele and put in a pair of CS Texas Specials, which sound really good. So these clips really aren't representative anymore. Plus, my basement still sucks...

13. thecajunboy

thecajunboy Member

14. Rod

Don't feel bad Cajun Boy...That's how I felt with a Two Rock....$3500.00, and I never liked the sound of it, and I can make any Peavey amp sound good......With Rob's VAC, I can't get a bad sound>>> go figure

15. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

It's so personal how can anyone really say. The Vac 22 I had was amazing to my ears, the Hayseed I had sounded nice, very close to an ac30 tbx (though not as much like a JMI as bscepter's appears to). They are built really well. They are priced right. If you enjoy their tone they are super great value.

I know lots of folks who love em and lots who could take or leave them. I could say the same about /13, Bruno, Matchless, TwoRock, Budda, Dr Z etc etc...point being you gotta play one to really "hear it" and then decide.

16. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    The latest "F" mod was installed in all amps starting from July 05. If you have an amp made before then it does not have this mod. I can install it on any amp, just send me your chasis. I DO NOT sell DIY kits for this mod. Any amp with a mid control can be done for $25 plus return shipping. No mid control runs $75.
    Rob

17. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Regarding folks not liking these things, I've found that most of the hand-wired amps can be tweaked very easily to sound great to each individual's likes or dislikes.

I recently bought another brand of amp that had gone through several hands. Apparently nobody liked it. It was a variation on a BF Fender circuit. The original builder had tweaked it for maximum headroom. I restored the amp to the BF fender circuit (about 2 resistors and 3 caps) and upped the bias about 20% to lower the plate voltages and give a little more compression. Voila - The thing sings now. I did the work myself but any competent repairman could make the same types of changes for $50 or so. I'm sure Valvetech can dial the tone in for an individual user too.

18. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    Not to toot my own horn here, but if you take the time to really work the controls, you will most likely find the tone you are after. I have heard the VAC compared to Marshall, Hiwatt,VOX, Tweed bassman,BF twin, Boogie recto and others, Will the amp really approximate these tones? in my honest opinion yes,to a certain degree it does, but it also has alot to do with the other half of the equation,the guitar. The amp sounds radically different with a strat as compared to say a LP with hot pickups.
    Out of every amp I have ever tried, including th Hayseed 30, the VAC original is still by far the best amp I personally have ever played.
    Rob

19. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

you need to read the instructions for the vac amps. they really are the only way to get started. i owned a hayseed custom for almost a year before i got a vac 50 watter too. i thought from my valvetech experience that i would be able to just plug in and go. i was wrong. the vac's are incredibly tweakable but it is such a different and great design that you will need the manual when first plugging in. i totally GET IT now.

20. Rod

I ended up selling my Pritchard, Two Rock, Bad Cat 30, and Gerlitz because The tone of my VAC was so much more balanced, for what I do with a Les Paul...It's sort of the best compromise of vintage and modern of any amp I've ever owned.The Two Rock and Hot Cat's front end would get away from me sometimes.like Boogies' do. They become to sensitive at louder volumes....I love it because to me, the VAC has it's own signature sound, and talk about being reasonably priced!! I knew I was onto something when I took the amp out for the first time to a gig, and I set all the controls to 12 noon except the master volume, and it sounded incredible..Oh, and it sounds best with stock tubes!!! Rob's also a great human being and builder/designer