ValveKing Royal 8 or crate V58

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mark23, Sep 29, 2006.

1. mark23

mark23 Member

So i was suppose to get a new guitar this week but things didn't work out. So i am looking at possibly getting the crate V58.
    I can get it for only $225 they are usually $269. I am debating if i should bite or wait for the Valveking royal 8. Which will probably be cheaper but it will be manufactured in china and have inferior parts. The crate is made in the U.S. and has 8" Celestion speaker and Groove Tubes EL84 & 1 12AX7. I also like the looks of the crate better. So opinions what you guys think i should do?

2. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Sounds like you've already decided on the Crate to me.

The Royal 8 isn't even out yet, and Peavey is notorious for delayed releases. Wouldn't surprise me if it was '07 when it finally comes out.

3. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Buy a used C-30, that amp is proven, tone nd vlue for the $. Better yet, throw a Greenback in it.
    jmo

4. mark23

mark23 Member

I already have a peavey valve king i don't need another high wattage amp. I am looking for something 5 watts or less for apartment pratice. I know 5 watts is still alot of power so i am going to buy a webber attenuator.

5. mark23

mark23 Member

Yup you are right i think i already had my mind made up, i am not a very patient person, i pulled the trigger on the crate this morning. Now the only thing left to do is decide if i want to buy a micro mass or a mass webber attenuator.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I've got a Mini Mass on my C50 & it works great.

7. Leftee

Leftee Guest

Does the Crate have a MV? The Peavey does which would be good for apartment playing.

I know it's a moot point since you've already purchased. Just asking the question.

8. mark23

mark23 Member

I believe so, don't all single channel amps have a master volume? that wasnt meant to be scrastic i am not that in the know about gear its more of a question.

9. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I'm meaning a preamp and MV setup.

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

That little Crate amp SUCKS..I had 2 of them...That double sucked....save your $$ for something else....just my opinion....

11. mark23

mark23 Member

Hmm that sucks, I hope it will sound ok to my ears, your ears are probably more sophisticated then mine this is only my second tube amp, the first is a valve king so i've never owned anything to great. The funny thing is a few days after purchasing this i remembered about the matamp minimat i probably should have saved up for that but if i dont' like this amp, i can always return and save for the minimatt. Matter fact even if i like this little amp i probably save up for the minimatt and get a nice little orange cab to go with it. I guess i will find out later this week.

12. Micter

Micter Member

I have a Crate V8 Palomino (same thing different color) I don't use any attenuation for bedroom level practicing. It's a fairly high gain amp and sounds OK a low volumes. It's not bad for a practice amp but it's not anything to write home about.

13. mark23

mark23 Member

I am not sure i hope so thou here are the specs that i found on it. It doens't say it does it? I thought it did because knobs wise the v58 and royal 8 are same both have volume, gain, and tone knobs.

The V58 is an enhanced single channel amp that operates in Class A configuration, and generates 5, watts RMS through an 8" Celestion speaker. The Class A circuit essentially runs the Groove Tubes(TM) EL84's at full output at all times. For the tone and feel fanatic, this provides instant response, dramatic wolf tones and harmonics which are the hallmark of these classic circuit designs.
    Features:•Celestion 8" Speaker•5 Class A Tube Watts•EL84 and 12AX7 Tubes•Single Channel•Line Out Jack•Gain, Tone and Level•V-Series Cosmetics•Metal Grille•12" x 13" x 7.5"•18 lbs.

14. mark23

mark23 Member

Thanks for the reassurance, i really don't need anything to great, i just want a tube amp that had descent gain. As i can't really use the gain switch or not set it to my liking in my apartment with my valve king. Does you palomino have the preamp and MV setup?

15. Micter

Micter Member

It has gain and volume controls. Like I said it's a little practice amp but it sounds OK. For the money it's not bad.