Valvetech 22 or Dr. Z

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Goldstrat, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I am narrowing down my amp choices and was wondering which of these you would pick? Anyone who has had both please advise! Whichever Z is the 6v6 one? Does one sound more Marshall than the other. Thanks!

2. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

The Valvetech will have much more preamp gain on tap than the Dr. Z.

3. Sammy

Sammy Member

Hi,

I am in the UK and recently ordered a Valvetech22 it will arrive next week. Rob is a really nice Guy and quite honestly after listening to the soundclips, checking reviews and the amazing price he does these for there was no question I had to go for this over the many other amps I had looked at incl DR Z. The only difference I am having from the stock Greenback is an Eminence Cannibis Rex as personally I prefer the smoother American sound than the Brit sound.

I did try a DRZ with the 6v6's albeit at bedroom volumes but found it a bit harsh sounding. I will let you know what this sounds like when it arrives.

Are you actually looking for the Marshall sound! If so I would recommend either an EL34 or EL84 amp, 6v6's aren't really Marshall sound, thats why I like 6v6's or 6L6's which are more Fenderish, as I am not keen on the Marshall sound. If you are, probably the Valvetech Hayseed would be a better bet with EL84's, he is selling those like hotcakes.

Sammy

4. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Thanks Sammy! Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

5. aroman

aroman Member

If you want more Marshall get a Budda Superdrive 18 Head or Combo and Change the Stock speaker (V30 or Governor).

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I like the Ghia, it's not 100% the same as any amp, but the sound is very usable in about any context. If you get the 6v6 Dr. Z amp, it will not sound as marshally. The Ghia has EL84s and calls to mind Vox, Brownface/tweed Fender and marshall, all mixed up together with very strong bass and excellent touch sensitivity.

7. Sammy

Sammy Member

Got the amp today and had about an hour on it, all I can say at the moment is there are loads of sounds as the two channels are different an everything is interactive, quite amazing for the price. Looks great too.

I know I only really heard the DR Z at bedroom levels but to me the sound of the Valvetech is in a different league, its way better. This also doesn't sound at all harsh like the Dr Z.

We have band practice this Weds in a hall so will be able to give a better review after that.

8. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I have never heard that amp described better. I totally agree!

9. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Member

The 6v6 Dr. Z, Z28 is probably my least favorite dr. z amp. Had one and it just didn't have a personality. Got lost in a band situation also. The Ghia however is an incredible little amp. Described above to a tee. Really has a great marshall flavor cranked, and reasonably priced.

10. Sammy

Sammy Member

Okay Goldstrat, I used it at rehersal last night and wow what a fantastic sound. I was glowing from start to finish and even though tired after a hard days work, didn't want to stop playing.

It is different from my Carr Rambler, a bit more say in your face sound not quite so polite more compressed, solos really cut through using my Xotic AC pedal and chords are nice and full whilst hearing every note. Its just great....., also there are so many different options on the amp, even to the point of a switch at the back changing the preamp tube to either a 12ay7 or 12ax7. I didn't even try the second channel with the boost pedal for solos as It was so good on channel one. also I didn't even get to play my beloved recently bought new version Hofner Verythin, as my Tele sound so good!

Whoever said it isn't loud enough for a band for small to medium venues needs to have their ears syringed they told me to turn it down from the word go and I ony had it a quarter of the way up! Though this could also be due to the fact I had the Cannabis Rex intalled for more clean headroom, what a great speaker>

How Rob can build these amps at these prices, with all of its extra facilities, is beyond me and this must be the best buck for buck amp on the market.

I would say I got more of a Fender sound out of it, which is what I wanted, but then I haven't tried everything out yet, but would be sure, with maybe the original greenback speaker installed, which Rob likes, you could dial in some Marshall or Vox tones.

To finish I don't think I could have found a better sounding amp unless paying really top money and I am very fussy!

11. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

You can absolutely get some British tones out of a VAC 22 through some appropriate speakers. A pair of Brimars like the ones I put in mine don't hurt either.

Great review Sammy. Glad to hear you're loving the amp and making some noise with it across the pond. Just wait until you plug into channel 2 and kick on the boost. Better stand back!

12. jamison162

jamison162 Member

So can you not get any get british sounding raw crunch going using this speaker and the right amps? I've been looking at putting a 2x12 together with these for the following heads: Peavey Classic 30, Shiva, Orange Rocker 30, Budda SD18. Would the CR be versatile enough for all of these, even though it is in the "Patriot" series?

Thanks

13. Sammy

Sammy Member

Personally I would say no, if you want the british raw sounding crunch nothing does it better than celestions, say a greenback, thats why I am not so keen on celestions as to me they have a very limited sound they all appear to have that british tone in them and you cannot get the smooth american tones from them at all. With quite a few american speakers you get the american tone whilst also getting some of the brit crunch. I think american speakers generally are much more versatile. But as I said if you want the best Brit crunch you can't beat a celestion.

The Cannabis Rex to me is much more of a smoother darkish tone, if you look at Tonequest report V6 No6 April 2005, they describe the emmenice speakers and I think they got the CR just right. On an old emminence site back in jan 2005 it says the C.R. is best suited for Lead/Rhythm Guitar, Accoustic Guitar and Keyboard. Music- Country/Jazz & Classical(don't see where classical comes in!) Overall- Clean & full, with lots of body and sparkle. Smokey smooth with high-end defintion.

I have the Kingpin in my Carr Rambler, which I think is a great speaker, though some Rambler owners disagree. Anyway I will try in the next week to plug each speaker into the other amp to see the difference, though the Valvetech is a bigger cab so would sound slightly different if actually swopped the speaker over. I also have an Emminece Red White & Blue but thats not in a cab so I would only swop round if I wasn't happy with speaker already in combo, otherwise its too much work to take the other one out just to try it out!
    Even though I am not usually keen on greenbacks, whilst putting the C.R. in my Valvetech for the sound I wanted, whilst he said it sounded good he still likes the greenback, so I would like to try it with a greenback sometime just to see the difference!

So back to your actual question I think the C.R is quite versatile but you won't get the brit crunch, if you want that as well I would suggest another in the eminenice range, they ae really good speakers for reasonable prices compared to some other brands. Maybe the Texas Heat would suit you, which I almost went for, which is on the American line but with a hint of British flavor!