Valvetech Hayseed 30 Arrival

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wilder, Jan 8, 2006.

1. wilder

wilder Member

I got my Hayseed last Friday and have had a couple of hours with it so far. It sounds incredible. I installed a pair of Celestion Blues and have been playing with the controls. I really like my Tele with the top-boost channel and my Lester through the EF86 channel so far. I've got tons more experimentation to do, but I wanted to post pics of the chassis and cab work which is beautiful. Thanks, Rob, for a killer amp at a killer price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Roe

Roe Member

looks great!!

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

Very nice. I played mine last night and loved it yet again.

Personally, I think this amp was made for P90s. But I was amazed at how good my Tele sounded, too. I ran my SG into the normal channel at around 3:00, and then switched to the TB channel at 12:00 for the Tele (middle pos.) for one song. It was spanky-clean. The SG, however, ripped my head off...

4. wilder

wilder Member

I tried the LP Junior out with it this morning and I can see where you're coming from on the P90 thing. What a badass rock tone on either channel. I need to play around with some clean tones as well.

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

You ain't just whistling Dixie, brother!:RoCkIn

6. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I really liked mine when I got it. I have taken the time to put good NOS tubes in it and it made an amazing difference. If you think you like it now you will be surprised at the difference with a good EF86 and quad of EL84's.
    :BEER

7. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

How much gain is available? How much headroom? Im getting sort of interested in one. Do they cover alot of ground?

8. winonatele

winonatele Member

Nice amp! I'm looking at getting the head version. With the top mount controls, how difficult is it to get to the tubes? I'd prefer top mount controls but it looks like the tubes aren't too easy to install in that configuration. Thanks!

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

Well, the EF86 has tons of gain (not nĂ¼ metal gain, but that's not the point of these amps), and if you crank the normal channel, you'll get Brian May-type gain. Depending on the pickups and your volume settings, you'll get nice chimey cleans, too. I think they're the most versatile non-switching amps out there.

10. wilder

wilder Member

The tubes are easier to get to than I thought they'd be just looking at it. You can't see them, but they 're all along the lower edge of the chassis (except the EF86) and easy to reach. I just couldn't resist the Vox cosmetics. Aspen Pittman's red AC30 was the model for the cosmetics and I think Rob did a great job with it.

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Hey Chris...let me know if you'd like to do a little amp-fest sometime. We could shoot out with my English RI AC30 (fawn)...I have other goodies we could warm up as well (Komet, Marshall, etc.). :)
    Greg

12. wilder

wilder Member

Greg,

I'll shoot you an email when Colt gets back in town. I'm sure he'd want to be there. I've got some vintage Fender and Marshall stuff to throw in the mix as well.

Chris

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Cool, sounds like fun. :)

14. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

Well, I thought this amp was made for Teles!!!
    Until I tried my '66 ES-335 :eek: :RoCkIn :BEER :dude

15. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

taco wants.

How long is the wait time for a Hayseed? 2 months, I recall?

[rubbing hands together, baby]

16. wilder

wilder Member

It's about 3 months, but the sooner you order.....well you know. Rob only requires a $150 deposit so you can snag a place in line at the current prices pretty easily. I looked for a used one for two months before ordering mine (no luck) and could have had it that much earlier if I'd just ordered one.

Chris

17. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I am coming up in line this month. The line is long, but Rob is responsible and pretty realistic about the wait. This is my second Valvetech, and he was right on target with the first one.

The idea that Rob does it all himself, including the chassis and cabinets is really quite remarkable. This really is a hand built amp with the direct attention of the builder to all aspects of the amp construction.

By the way, the Hayseed has captured everyone's attention, but not to be forgotten, are Rob's original VAC's. These are also really great amps for those that want the tweed flavor with a high gain option.

18. Gary Shetler

Gary Shetler Guest

Axmeister is right on target! I, too, own both the Hayseed 30 and the VAC 22. Both are stellar amps!

I received my Hayseed head two weeks ago and it was a 12 week delivery. And, I assure you it's worth the wait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

That does it! Time to order one identical to that black head. I'm going with the EF86 option only.

taco

20. Gary Shetler

Gary Shetler Guest

Taco ...

Mine has the EF-86 option - you won't be sorry!!

Now, I'm trying to justify buying a 2x12 cab with Blues .... :) It sounds great through my Avatar with one G12H30 and one V30, but it deserves the Blues!