Valvetech Hayseed: keeper or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MVrider, Feb 21, 2006.

1. MVrider

MVrider Member

Thinking about a Valvetech Hayseed for that "singing" sound.

So for all of you who own or have owned a Hayseed, here's a question:

If you sold it, how long did you keep it, why did you sell it and what did you replace it with?

If you still have yours, how long have you owned it?

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

I've had mine since early December '05. I've played five or six shows on it and countless practices. As for keeping it, well... I'll give up my Hayseed when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

3. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    MV:
    I've had my Hayseed since July 2005. It replaced my Vox AC-30HW, which replaced my AC-30TBX. The only option I have is the ef-86/12AX7 selector on the "Normal"/Non-TB channel. The Top Boost channel does a great imitation of a chimey, jangley Vox tone, much like my old AC-30TBX. The Normal channel, with the ef-86 selected and a rangemaster clone plugged in, growls and grinds like no other amp I've ever heard. For me, this amp is a keeper.

4. MVrider

MVrider Member

WHOA! I thought there were a lot more Hayseed owners out there.

5. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I had mine for several months. It replaced a tbx. I had a JMI ac30 at the time which I kept for a good long while after. I replaced the Hayseed with a Vox Ac30CC which sounded closer to my JMI. The CC also eventually made me sell my ac30HW Head and JMI because it sounded more to my liking and was pretty darn close to the JMI. I eventually found an AC30HW Combo which sounded more to my tastes than the CC and somehow had more definition than my old HW head, though it was not necessarily better than either and I have since sold the CC. For JMI type tones you couldn't beat the JMI or the CC. For brighter Vox tones the TBX and the Hayseed were on a par. For smokier Vox tones that have just enough brightness I prefer the HW combo setup.

All tempered by the fact that the new Hayseeds have a "JMI" mod which is supposed to bring them closer to JMI spec, whereas my Hayseed was an earlier one. Also tempered by the fact that I am a Vox slut :Spank

6. gitt

gitt Member

Got mine a month ago, no way I'll part from it.

7. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

I had mine from July 05, til about Sept or October 05. I went through a divorce, otherwise I'd still have mine. I loved that amp, and waited 3 months to get it. I never replaced it, just use my Victoria more.

I really want to get another, but the WAITING, is just too much for me. But frankly I think that its the only other amp to satisfy me right now. I've got a Bluesbreaker RI as my 2nd amp now, and I'm definitely NOT in love with it, it just sounds very "average", after hearing my Vicky and owning Badcats, vintage Fenders, and the Hayseed 30.

8. bscepter

bscepter Member

I guess the question is, do you like the sound of the Vox AC30 -- especially the JMI version. If so, you'll probably go gaga over the Hayseed (depending on the "JMI mod," which OT you select and which speakers you run it through).

I went all the way with mine to get the JMI thing going, having Rob install a Mercury Magnetics Woden OT and choke, and running it through a semi-open-backed 2x12 loaded with a pair of Celestion Blues. After everything was added up, the whole rig still only cost about $1,750, which seems like a bargain to me.

9. wilder

wilder Member

I've still got mine but, I've only had it since January. I don't see any reason to part with it. I've been getting some of my best recorded tones ever out of it.

Chris

10. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I would agree with this. Any doubt I might have had about the Hayseed was erased this weekend when I visited a friend that has a late 90's AC30 reissue w/ blues. My Hayseed w/ blues DESTROYED the Vox. They weren't even in the same league. As with most of the Vox reissues the Normal and Trem. channels are pretty much useless. That left his Brilliant channel which sounded thin and boxy compared to the Hayseed. Maybe he just had a bad one? I will concede that I'm using good NOS tubes and he had JJ's. When you factor in that I also have an amazing EF86 Normal channel it wasn't even close.

11. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Words -- did your Hayseed have the ef-86 option on it? I'm wondering how the Hayseed's ef86 channel compares to your JMI.

12. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Since mine was an early one it did not have the ef86 - but neither did my JMI. The only JMI you could fairly compare the ef86 channel to would be an ac30/4 - a rare amp indeed.

13. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Well, I've got Words old one now...it had some mods done to it that were reversed by Rob (except for the bright switch). The entire amp was brought up to current standards including the cut knob rework, and the chassis was loaded into a new headshell , converted from a combo. No verb, trem or tube mods.

It sounded pretty darn good running it through my Bogner OS 2x12 with Greenbacks....Got a Swanson 2x12 and loaded it with Weber alnico 's (Blue Dog & Silver Bell), took the back off the cab, and now the thing sounds like freaking angels singing. I don't run it wound all the way up, but the dead clean to edge of breakup tones are out of this world.

This amp is awesome.

Steve E

14. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Coolness!!:BEER

15. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Yeah, and a big thanks goes out to you too ;)

Steve E

16. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I'm on the wait list for a head. Damn I'm excited.
    I've ordered the EF86 option.
    :)

17. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i'm on the list for a red tolex 2-12 ef86 woden clone combo as well.
    can't wait 'til april. curious to see how it fares against my matchless DC30. different amps, i know. i got the DC30 to replace a couple of troublesome JMI AC30s.

18. bscepter

bscepter Member

A couple of "troublesome" JMI AC30s??? How troublesome? 'Cause they're worth a mint these days!

19. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

not wanting to hijack this thread....
    but to answer Ur question.
    this was some ten years ago. i wanted that chimey AC30 sound to mix w/ my amp array and it led directly to a JMI era amp, which i bought. after blowing OTs and having to replace them and having the amp recapped i bought another JMI era AC30 and promptly blew the OT in it and had the amp recapped. three weeks into the tour we were on and the OT in the second amp blew sending the AC30 into flames and causing severe damage to the PTP innards.
    at that point, i'd had enough and sold both of the AC30s and bought the DC30. the JMIs were beautiful sounding amps but my luck w/ them soured me forever. i still have my DC30 and dig it as much as ever. it really is it's own amp but does have that chimey EL84 sound. not wanting to risk another JMI era AC30 fiasco and reading peeps comments about the hayseed i placed an order for an amp w/ valvetech for an amp built as close to a JMI AC30 as humanly possible. it should be here by april/may.
    for the most part, i'm out of the vintage amp market. it's such a crap shoot and U rarely are buying an original amp, but something that may have speakers, caps, iron and gawd knows what else replaced by gawd knows what. with the current plethora of boo-teek amp builders that are supplying whatever 'vintage' clone dream amp U want it just makes more sense to me to buy a new amp that i know is gonna be good for the next 20 years before the caps dry out and it needs $$$ thrown at it.
    we truly live in wonderful times in that regard. valve train is even making a '64 vibroverb clone.
    then there are also guys that are making truly great amps that aren't clones, but really cool amps in and of themselves.

20. Lammy

Lammy Member

Just won that ebay auction for the hayseed, so within a week, ill be getting back my Traynor YBA-1 recapped and retubed, and a Hiwatt DR 504 recapped and retubed...and that hayseed...sounds like trouble...well for sure when i leave for tour in 2 weeks, ill have a great sound for sure! which amp do i have to leave behind?