Valvetech Hayseed Owners: input request

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axemeister, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I should be coming up this month in Rob's production line.

So, I am curious for any updated input from experienced Hayseed owners prior to finalizing my specs.

I would love to get any suggestions from Hayseed owners about options and features that they know about, or options that they wish they had included in their amps.....? As for my own tastes, I love the Vox chime and jangle, but I also want to be able to find some drive and grind from the Hayseed. Any thoughts or suggestions will be helpful to me.

I am wondering whether I need the ef86 option rather than reverb, which I do use.

I am also curious about how the 2x10" combos have worked out for those that went with 10" speakers. I just am trying to save on weight, so I am thinking 1x12 or 2x10. My heart wants to go with 2x12, but my back wants me to stay a bit lighter.

I am curious how the top mount vs. front mounted controls have worked out on the Hayseed. As a VAC owner, I know that Rob puts some switches and controls on back of chasis. With the top mount controls, will the controls and switches on the back of the chasis be less accesible? I am not so concerned that the amp needs to look like a Vox clone if the front mount control layout makes more sense.

Any pics of Hayseed in various forms and cosmetics would also be appreciated..

Thanks

2. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I have had my Hayseed 30 for 2-3 months. It's a 2x12 combo w/ Celestion blues, EF86 option, half-power switch, vox cosmetics & top mounted controls. Here are my feelings on some of things you ask about-
    • #1, the EF86 option is one of the main reasons to get this amp. To me it is the biggest thing that separates the Hayseed from the pack of older and new Voxes. Maybe not required if you play Beatles stuff all day but if you like dirt it is amazing. You will likely never play the normal channel without the EF86 kicked in. This amp has me thinking of bugging Rob to come up with a real AC15 clone (EF86 equipped). Spend $20 on a good NOS Telefunken EF86, that also makes a big difference. Voxes (and the Hayseed) are not known for having particularly good reverb anyway.
    • 2x12 vs 2x10 - It may be a bit lighter but I would miss the thump of a 2x12 with this amp. I would only go with a 2x10 if I played one first and liked it.
    • I like the top mounted controls. It is easier to read and adjust them with the amp on the floor. My master volume, half-power switch, and EF86 knob are tucked underneath where you can't see them. They are all very easy to find and adjust. Once you use the amp a few times it's kind of like plugging a cord into a Les Paul jack - you can do it without thinking. Not an issue for me.
    • The one newer option that I see he is offering is a filtering switch. I do get some ghosting as I'm usually playing it cranked w/ a treble booster in front of it. It is the one thing that I don't have that I wish I did.

3. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

I'm on the list too. I got the EF-86 option in a head version. The filtering switch sounds interesting. Anyone know what brand of EF-86 the hayseed comes with stock?

4. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I agree with previous posts. Go with the ef86 for sure!
    On the speaker equation, I have a cabinet with a 12" Celestion Blue and a Weber Silver 10". The Blue is essential, I think, for the best that the Hayseed can deliver. The 10" Weber is there to give me more, oh, I don't know... just more! Perhaps you could use a Blue and one of those lightweight Celestion or Jensens with the Neodymium speakers? I haven't heard them, but you could do a search here.

5. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    You are going to get your wish. Hayseed 15 is being worked up as we speak. It is going to be the same features as the 30, just the 15 watt output.
    Rob

6. bscepter

bscepter Member

Well, I love mine. I have an NOS Telefunken in the EF86 spot, but I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I've been using the ECC83 normal channel lately. I've been running it at half power, almost all the way up. With a germanium treble boost, I'm getting some serious Brian May tones.

Until I get better cords and shield my SG, I can't really use the EF86. It has so much low end, it really accentuates the single-coil hum that I've been battling lately. It sounds fantastic -- don't get me wrong -- but I'm liking those Tung Sol 12AX7 reissues.

Oh, and the stock EF86 is a Svetlana, I think. Mine was fine, though I hear a high percentage of them are microphonic. I believe Mike at New Sensor is working on an EF86, but we'll see if he gets his factory problems fixed. I know there are those that don't like his buying the old trademarks and selling Russian tubes under them, but his Tung Sol 12AX7s are nice. And his 5881s are supposed to be the sh*t.

And as to the filtering, well, I'm glad it's there, I guess -- but I don't really notice a difference, and I haven't had any weird "ghost" notes at the 16 µF setting, so I'm keeping it stock for now.

By the way, I'm really glad I went with the head-and-cab setup. It's sooo much easier to deal with as far as weight is concerned, and I don't mind the extra trip to the car.

7. bscepter

bscepter Member

Rob, is it a different circuit? Otherwise, wouldn't running the 30 at half power and the EF86 engaged give you a vintage AC15 tone?

8. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    Yep it would be, but the 15 watt amp will be smaller, lighter and less $$$$$$ It will be 2 or 3 months before I will start taking orders for these. On a side note, b scepter, you Merc Magnetics transformer killed the ghosting. Like I said before, those transformers dont have near the low end of the heyboers,thus the ghosting does not come through. I can get the heyboers to get very close, but they still have a little more low end.The mercuries are THE way to go if you want to nail that old VOX tone,but that said, they are not going to have the deep low end that alot of guys dig about the heyboer iron.
    Rob

9. retro

retro Member

I am getting more interested in the Hayseed myself.

I noticed you (Axemiester) questioned whether to get the EF86 rather then reverb. I have read a owner/user got the EF86, Reverb and Tremolo in his combo.
    I am guessing Rob can speak to that. My impression from the user was he liked the Reverb and Tremolo.

10. bscepter

bscepter Member

That's funny -- it's a good thing I went with the Woden clone, instead of the Albion clone. Apparently, the Woden's had a lot more low end than the Albions. And for me, I've got plenty of low-end at the moment, so I'm not worried. I suppose the Albions probably give you the low end of a small transistor radio!

11. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    I have done 1 with the reverb and EF 86,(and tremelo and filterswitching all the the same amp) the reverb only can work on the 12AX7 bypass and top boost channels It does not work if the eF 86 channels are selected.
    Its kinda goofy and would rather NOT do another like it. Because I would switch to EF 86 come back later, plug into the TB channel and would have no reverb, then I would be going nuts till I figued to move the bypass electer back to 12AX7.
    Like I said before, with the stock VOX circuit, the heyboers have waaaay more low end than the mercury wooden clones. the circuit can be tweaked to make it sound very close to the mercury, but not exactly like it. I would bet a lot of guys would not like the merc as much because of the lesser low freq response. There is also a slight difference in overall tone that I cant even put into words,the best I can do is say the mercuries just sound old,the heyboers not as much.
    Rob

12. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

My first hayseed was standard 12ax7 w/ reverb. I did not really dig the verb, but the amp was steller. It did not need it at all.....
    I was very impressed with the lows with the 2 30w weber blues, and I set the bass at 9:00 at the most. I did get filtering (50uf IIRC from 16uf on the first stage) added to mine to tame the ghosting a bit. Very cool tweek IMHO. I was very happy, but the 2x12 was a bit too heavy, and VERY loud. I only giged it on 1/2 power.

If Rob builds a clone of the early AC15, I will get on the list asap!!!!!!
    1x12 with a weber 30w blue:cool: :cool:

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

forgive the ignorance, but what is ghosting?
    is it the intermodulation distortion U get when play two notes and bend one and get that sub note sound?

14. granite

granite Member

Hey Rob or a current owner, is there an std 8 Ohm mono out on this amp? I believe my amp should be coming up to be built soon as well and I need a 8 Ohm mono out for my Avatar 2 x12 cab.

Thanks!
    Craig

15. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

There is an 8-ohm and a 16-ohm out on mine.

Ghosting is when you can hear a quiet note or overtone on top of the one you are playing. Not a nice musical one but a nasty out of tune one.

16. granite

granite Member

Good. I don't have a need for 16-ohm, I wonder if I could get 4-ohm & 8-ohm speaker outs on my head when it comes time to build it? This would give me more options for 2x12 cabs. I'm liking a lot of the Eminence Red Coat speakers, but some of them only come in 8 ohm. Two 8-ohm speakers in parallel calls for a 4-ohm cab right? Rob is the 4/8 Ohm speaker out option possible?

Thanks!
    Craig

17. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi Luke
    See Earlier post,
    hayseed 15 will be coming in 06.
    I can do a 4 8 16 ohm output, you will have to pay a bit more, cause it will be a mercury, the stock heyboers have only 8 and 16
    Rob

18. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    The ghosting is when the power supply basically runs out of filtered DC power,and you will hear a pulsating DC overtone (around 120hz)that is out of tune with the note you are playing. It only happens when the amp is cranked,and you have a lot of bass going.
    Since the mercs have a much narrower response, the ghosting does not come through.
    Rob

19. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

Does anybody have one with tremolo? I prefer amp trem and have one on order with it, but have yet to see any posts about owners with it in their amp. I am going with 1-12, ef86, 1/2 power and trem w/ controls on top. Is there anything else to consider?

20. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I am still curious about the top mount vs. front mount contol configuration on the combo versions.

I realize that many people have the heads which are all front mount, but I am curious to hear from top mount combo owners about the accessibility of the rear mounted controls (mv, switches, loop, etc) access to the tubes, etc.

I am thinking that tube access and rear controls and switches might be much less user friendly on the top mount combo. So, is the front mount set up a more practical choice?