Valvetech in the house

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimlp, Sep 26, 2006.

1. jimlp

jimlp Member

My VAC arrived yesterday, the last 6 months have dragged by like 2 years! I just wanted to post this here as this forum got me interested in Rob's amp to begin with. The amp sounds great (think Marshall type drive) but is louder than I thought it would be, I think I have to start looking at an attenuator. I have used the THD Hotplate, what else is out there? I am enclosing a pic, after some thought I don't think that Gecko green goes with Marshall purple! Does anyone know if Rob has stopped putting logos on his amps? my amp showed up without one, I will call him today if he doesn't see this thread. JimC
    [​IMG]

2. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

BYOOTIFUL! Hope it kicks butt soundwise.. Enjoy

Eric:dude

3. conrad

conrad Member

:jo Worthless without the logo and in that color...

SELL IT TO ME !!!!!!:dude

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

sweet amp, I want one!!! try the Dr.Z airbrake attenuator...I heard theyre wicked and will be picking one up for my amp :)

5. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

The Hot Plate sounds great with this amp. I have the 22-watt VAC, and the squish the Hot Plate gives it is like another color on the palette. That said, I think the amp's master volume works really well, too. Enjoy the VAC, man. Lots of sounds to be found in there.

6. 69strat

69strat Member

Ok, seeing that its in da house, HOW DOES IT SOUND ???????:crazyguy

7. jimlp

jimlp Member

I called Rob about the no logo thing, he said he only had black and silver logos and he didn't think it would go with the gold faceplate. I had him ship me one anyway, it might go OK with the salt&pepper grill cloth. I love the sound as it has a lot of marshall crunch in it IMO, I did order an attenuator but not the Airbrake. I was looking at the airbrake & the Hotplate but then I saw the Weber MiniMass and figured I would try that first, I read reviews that said it was very good at what it does and it is $200.00 cheaper than the THD or Dr.Z product. Maybe I will get lucky and it will sound as good as the Hotplate I used to have, unfortunately it looks like lab equipment from the 60's!

8. webs

webs Supporting Member

What do you mean, 'unfortunately'? That's the best part;)
    Patiently awaiting my Valvetech. This kind of thread makes me very happy to be buying from Rob.

Congrats on the new toy.

9. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Must sound better the Hayseed.

10. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    ?????

11. wilder

wilder Member

Gramatically I have no idea what you're talking about. FWIW, I've owned/own both and I guess it's a matter of what you're going for. They both are well built and have great tone. The Hayseed does one thing extremely well and the VAC does everything nicely.

12. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

wow, that's a beaut. i'm not normally a fan of purple but the tolex, faceplate and grillcloth make a real nice package. currently waiting on a custom valvetech head that will be #3 in the stable.

13. jimlp

jimlp Member

Thanks. I wanted the amp to resemble the old purple Marshalls from the 70's, Rob had ordered the gold faceplate for someone else who ended up not wanting it, so I lucked out that it was available.

14. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Yeah that's a very cool look.

I'm the proud owner of VAC #007, plus a more recent 50-watt EL34 head. 'Tis good to be in the Valvetech club.

15. murch33

murch33 Active Member

My VAC's the best amp I've ever played through. Love it to death.

16. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Is this the Hayseed? I'm not clear on what amps, how many, different models, etc. Valvetech actually makes. The website could be improved IMHO. What tubes are in it and what does it sound like/modeled after?

I love the strat neck clip on the site. Which amp is that demoing?

17. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

That is one beautiful looking amp. I have always wanted to try one. Good luck and enjoy.

18. jimlp

jimlp Member

The amp in the pic is the VAC 22 watt amp, to my ears it sounds like it's in the Marshall family and runs on 2 6v6's and I believe 3 12ax7's. It is a loud 22 watts though so don't be put off by the lower power rating. The Vac has 2 channels, a clean and a drive with a foot switchable boost. The clean channel cannot be accessed from the foot switch though, so it is not a channel switching amp. If you are in the clean channel and you want to play on the drive channel you literally have to unplug one channel and plug into the other. The strat clip you are reffering to is the Hayseed.

19. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

rob's original amp is the vac22 (6v6's). the next amp was the vac50 (usually el34's). then he started making the hayseeds. there is a 15 watt and a 30 watt hayseed. he made a custom hayseed one-off for me and he has a deposit from me to start another custom head when het gets the time. the options and build quality rival amps costing quite a bit more.
    here's my hayseed custom and vac50 heads.
    [​IMG]

20. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Can the two channels on the VAC be switched by an A/B pedal, or would that cause a phasing issue? Anyone tried it?