Valvetech VAC question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AshlandBump, Mar 22, 2006.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I played a VAC briefly when I was down at Rob's shop picking up my Hayseed. Mostly, he was showing me how much grind the amp has with his F mods -- there was a lot. I didn't really check out the clean/semi-clean tones though. Can a VAC do Fender Deluxe Reverb type tones?

Also, how's the reverb on the VAC? Fenderish? or not quite that much?

2. modRod

modRod Member

i bought it for the clean/semi-clean tones of channel one. i don´t know how they compare to the fender deluxe reverbs, but i can say that i don´t miss a thing. the cleans are warm, round and breathing with a good punch . the early breakup tones are very smooth and controlable (with the picking or the guitar volume.) the reverb is ok, not fenderish. you can´t go wrong with a vac IMO.

arndt

3. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    There is some clips on the site now that shows some of the clean tones.
    rob

4. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i have a vac 50 watter with the f-mods. the cleans are very nice. punchy, warm, and thick. you can add small amounts of grind until you hit the max which can be real heavy. the amp is very tweakable. even more so than my rivera bm60 which is known for it's tweakability. tkae a look at the manual if and when you get a vac. it pays to give it a thorough read before plugging. in.

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

Great clips -- though I can't tell what the setup is (they just say "Click here to listen to Sample 1," etc.). I'm on a Mac, and I've tried both Firefox and Safari, and I still get no info.

6. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    All of the clips were a guitar, strait into the amp ,no pedals at all, whatsoever. The noisiest clip 6 was a hamer P 90 special, the last 2 were the sound guy who asked if he could lay down some licks, he had an Ibanez of somesort, the clip 7 was a les paul with dimarzio super distortion pups, and the frst few were a strat of somesort(Mike you wanna chime in?)
    Rob

7. Keld

Keld Member

How do you VAC owners like the overdrive? Comparisons to other amps? I'm a bit concerned that the clips sounded a bit fizzy (no offense Rob) so I'm curious if you've noticed that in your VAC's.

Thx!

- Keld

8. modRod

modRod Member

i don´t use the amount of gain demonstrated in some of the clips ( my max. gain setting is like clip 4) and i don´notice any fizziness. but i know, that you can get a lot different gain structures out of this amp. i´m quite sure, that you could tweak it to your likings.

arndt

9. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    I dont know about fiizzy, but clips 7 thru 9 have a ton of preamp distortion. I know those tones are probably not real popular with alot of folks, but I like it ! You can set the overdrive from just a bit of grit (clip 4 ) all they way to buzz saw ( clip 7). It is a very versitile amp, the clips just demonstrate a few settings.
    Rob

10. teefus

there is a lot of gain there if you need it. the amps vac's really open up and sing when you get the power amp cooking a little bit. i wouldn't say mine sounds fizzy at all, especially with the master at 9 o'clock or greater. pluggin into the hi input on channel 2 and using channel 1 as a boost you can literally go anywhere. old, non-master ac/dc type gain to darn near boogie territory. the tone and pres controls are very interactive too.

11. Keld

Keld Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think what I'm hearing in those clips could be a byproduct of the recording process (some attributes become more prominant in recording, giving a skewed perspective).

Cheers,

Keld

p.s.

I played a Hayseed a week ago - sounded great but not enough gain for my taste.

12. conrad

conrad Member

The Vac is an extremely versatile amp, but you have to take the time to get used to the very fine controls. I use the amp mostly clean with channel 1&2 jumpered, this gives a more "vintaged" tone.
    I had some trouble with microphonic JJ tubes that came with the amp, so now they are changed Electro Harmonix ( 12AX7 balanced).

The reverb was a little short to me, so I've changed it to a long spring reverb and a 5751 reverb driver tube. Mutch better for me.
    I don't know if Rob can build these in a 2X10 combo, mine is a 2X12 with celestion V30's.

Now it's perfect for me, final.
    :YinYang
    [​IMG]

13. thintele

thintele Member

I have been watching for a VAC 22 watter to come up in the emporium but they either sell too quick or seller wont ship:(

Anybody out there gigging with the 22 watter ? Just wondering how they keep up from a volume standpoint...

14. teefus

here's a pic of a 50 watter, the b+w is a hayseed custom. rob does a great job on these amps, from layout to build to cabs and tolex.
    [​IMG]