Valvetech VAC22 - Tell me all about it please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hal9000, Jul 17, 2006.

1. hal9000

hal9000 Member

I might be doing a trade deal for a 2000 model VAC 22 watter in 1x12 combo form. I haven't been able to find a manual to describe normal operation, so if any of you guys can tell me all about your experiences with them and how you setup the amp, I would be most appreciative.

In searching through the threads here I've found that I will probably send the amp back to Rob P. to have it updated to the final revision. The amp in question was updated in 2002 by Rob, doesnÂ’t have a mid knob or VAC logo either, but does have reverb and an FX loop.

Thanks a lot.

2. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

Hey hal9000, if you pm me your email address, I'll send you the manual. It's a Word file, so let me know if you'd prefer it saved as plain text.

The manual goes a lot farther toward describing this amp's possibilities than I can muster right now, after a long day. About all I'll say at this point: the amp rocks, and covers a wide, wide range of tones.

3. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Thanks, my email is: neil@afraiddave.com

4. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

definitely worth sending back for the "f" version modifications. having said that, the vac amps are real fire breathers. they can do loud clean, warm/mild overdrive and up to darn near hi gain. you will need the manual to get started as they are quite unusual in their set up and operation. once you get used to it you can do anything with them. i have a vac 50 watt head that hangs very nicely with my hayseed custom head.

5. iodine74

iodine74 Member

Teefus... since you've both both amps you've got my full attention. How are the cleans on the VAC?

On my ultimate wishlist I was thinking of having a both Hayseed and a VAC and running them in parallel... thinking obviously the Hayseed would take care of my Voxy desires, and the VAC might handle my Fendery Cleans, and then some Marshally Dirt (something appropriate for Pixies or Jawbox, maybe Catherine Wheel). Am I offbase in that assumption?

The clips of the dirty channel on the site are abit over the top for what I want. I wish there were descriptions there for them.

6. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Teefus, do you know what the differences are between the revisions?

I'm actually quite interested in the high-gain tones especially for metal, so if you have any experience with the VAC doing heavy stuff let me know. I've really gotten into the stoner and doom sounds that the Matamps produce, and I'd like to know if the VAC can do a bass-heavy and dark high-gain tones with a bit of sag.

7. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    You will need to get the F upgrade for the amp to get the best tones out of it
    . If you get it upgraded you ill find great metal tone in there.
    rob,

8. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Hi Rob, nice of you to join in. :)

The amp in question doesn't have the mid knob, so does rev F upgrade the front panel as well? I'd also like to throw a logo on the amp once it's upgraded if that's possible.

Thanks.

BTW, I thought you'd like to see a rendering I did while thinking about your amps:

[​IMG]

9. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

the "f" model vac can do metal. i have compared it to my friend's mesa mark iv. pretty similar gain levels. higher gain than my rivera bm 60, definitely. the cleans are thick and full. very punchy. the vac has more gain than my hayseed but my hayseed is a little different than most. both valvetechs have very usable cleans. my hayseed is a little darker than my vac 50 watter. the different versions of the amp have to do with the tone stack(s) and some other improvements that rob came up with while building and testing the amps.

10. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Sweet! Compairing favorably to a Mark IV speaks volumes to me. Thanks for the info.

11. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

Maybe another point of reference for you... I had a Mesa Triaxis+20/20 for quite a while, then got a VAC. Side by side, I preferred the VAC for high-gain sounds. (Keep in mind I usually am not going for super-low-end thump.) The VAC's gain seems much more dynamic. Kept the VAC, sold the Triaxis.

No slam against the Triaxis. It's a stellar preamp.

12. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

the vac is a total wolf in sheeps clothing amp. it looks like a vintage amp but it will flat take yer head off. i always get favorable comments about mine after the initial "what's a valvetech?" i didn't buy either valvetech for the cleans because of the music i play (classic rock, 80's rock) but they are certainly there if you need them. the vac is not a clone of anything as far as i can tell. very original design and architecture. my fiend plays a guytron fb100v and says he probably should have saved his money and bought a valvetech when we play them side by side. he thought the hayseed custom and vac 50 were in the same league as a lot of the booteek amps.

13. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Any amp I ever built over the years can get the upgrades. Changed them alot early on, but they have basically remained unchanges for the last couple years other than the fixed VS adjustable transformer tuner.
    The Hayseed gets all the press, but the VAC is a much better amp IMO I have been gigging mine since 97. Looks like crap but sounds great !!!
    Rob

14. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Rob, thanks. I'll play this version when I get the amp and see how I like it. If I decided to send it in for the F upgrade, how long do you think it will take and how much do you charge?

15. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    I would have it a day or 2. The whole mod, faceplate and all is $75 plus return shipping.

16. hal9000

hal9000 Member

You're a good man Charlie Brown! :) I'll PM you when I get it for shipping info. Thanks a lot.