Valvetronix AD120VT or Cube 60?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by leishan, Jun 16, 2006.

1. leishan

leishan Supporting Member

For all you experts out there-which one do you guys prefer? I'm trying to decide between the two-I like the sound of both, but I'd like to know some pros and cons of each.

Great site BTW!!

Thanks

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

My points before all Cube lovers chime in:

This relates only to the AD120VTX (the original ad120vt had a noticable lack of balls due to speakers and open back).

-Vtronix sounds better at low volumes.
    -Vtronix has more versatility (saving as many presets as you need.)

I *personally* like the tone better of the Vtronix. The Cube sounds great, yes, but the Vox sounds more 'tubey' to my ear.

EP

3. leishan

Darn! The one I was looking at has an open back.

Thanks for the info!

4. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

Nothing wrong with the AD120VT. Lots of balls here....

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Hey Eks! ValvetronixConvert from Voxtalks! Good to see you here.

Still my opinion of the 120vt. Just got lost in the band.

6. leishan

Thanks for the replies!

7. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

Hey ValvetronixConvert!!

Do you still have one?? Still got mine, and I'm happy with it.

I think the AD120VT would suit you just fine. If it sounds good, then don't worry about it.

From what I've heard, some guys with the closed-back cabs had problems with it rattling some times at higher volumes. I wouldn't like that, and I'm neither would you....

8. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

The vtronix is my fave modeler bar none - once you tweak it with your ears and abandon the presets it sounds fab!

9. photoguy

photoguy Member

+1 for the VT. I had both the 60 and the 120, thought they were great.

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I had one of the original VT 120's with the dreaded open back. It had plenty of balls. I really liked it.

I sold it because I didn't trust it; simple as that. I used it on a few shows and it did great though. But I threw down close to $1K including the big nice controller pedal.

That was in 2004; now I do own a Cube 60. Total outlay was $345. That's quite a difference; so this is no apples/apples comparison.

That said, IMHO, the Cube 60 is a fantastic bear bones grab-n-go little amp. 32 lbs. Small. Loud. Lots of different flavors of tones.

Both are good amps; the more expensive, larger and heavier Vox obviously does quite a bit more and has presets.... for my money the Cube 60 sounds as good/better for FAR less money, less weight, less size and popped on top of any of my existing extension cabs... it cranks.

Just IMHO.

11. leishan

Last night I played through a friend's Trademark 60-I thought it sounded good also.

Decisions, Decisions....

Thanks for all the input guys!

12. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

The TM60 is a good amp but has a shared EQ, no built-in effects, and is not as loud as either of the other two you're considering. I found that the Trademarks felt a bit flat to me after a few months of use. You will eventually outgrow them. The upside is that they're built like tanks in the USA by a company that stands behind its products. Reliability aside, I'd choose the Vox.

13. jbow

jbow Member

I have a smaller VOX AD30VT combo and I used to have a Cube-60, which I would still own but it went to Katrina relief. I don't know about the VOX 120 but since owning the 30w combo I have been thinking about buying one. I am very impressed with the VOX. I also have a Flextone III plus that I don't care much for, just too lazy to sell it. The Cube-60 is a very loud and punchy amp that will cover most styles. It is cheaper and lighter and will do the job. The only thing I did not really care for about the Cube-60 was that it seemed a little bright or brittle sounding on some settings and it was not easy to dial out. I also own a Micro Cube and I can't say enough good about it, everyone should own a Micro Cube. You can set it facing you on the ottoman and play with whatever is on TV after everyone is in bed and it will sound very good and wake no one!

Great practice amp the Micro Cube.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either one but the Cube-60 will be lighter and cheaper and it just might cut better but that is only a guess.

J

14. TS808

TS808 Member

I just got a Vox AD100VT and love the amp. It's not as versatile as the 120 in terms of patches, but I pretty much like having just two plus a manual mode. I never tried a Roland Cube but had a Roland Blues Cube 60 310 and that was a great amp.

I owned some Line 6 amps and found them to be more raspy than the Vox. In fact, the Flextone XL I own is now on ebay after getting the Vox. The Vox is more lively, has better low end, and also has some high end chime to it depending on the model you choose. I'd highly recommend the Vox. The built in wattage selector is a plus, as well as a tube in the power amp.