• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Valvetronix amps - what do you think (@why so inexpensive)

dlwalke

There's at least 1 YouTube video out there that makes me really like this amp. I think it sounds great but I don't put too much stock in what it sounds like through my headphones over the internet. It's the size I'm looking for. I'm almost put off by the price though. It seems too inexpensive...way too inexpensive for a tube amp. The tubes are pre-amp tubes though (The power amp side is solid state) so maybe that's why. Is it not surprising that it is so inexpensive ($180 for the VT20x 20 watt version). Also, I'm wondering if an amp with a tube pre-amp section and solid state power amp section is the best, or the worst of both worlds. Is it mostly power amp tubes that need to be replaced? Has anyone here played this amp and what do you think. It's competitors, for me, would include the Vox adio and the Yamaha THR. Both of those have 2 3" speakers vs a single 8" speaker for the VT20X, and are about twice the price, which is fine if its worth it. I just don't understand the pricing though and what that suggests.

HomeInMyShoes

It's not a full tube amp. It's a bit more gimmick than tube, but the tube they put in there does give it a feel, but it's a modeler. Okay, all that said, I've got one and it wotks great for home practice. Supports headphones quite well, sounds okay at low volumes.

I love the thing and Vox doesn't get enough love for these things.

It isn't my usual amp now though. I use an Orange Crush 35RT.

What's the purpose for the amp you are buying? Type of sound?

parachord

I don't own one, but I did come across a video where someone is complaining about the build quality which could be why the price is not higher. I'm not familiar with what build quality is like for amps in general but I think for a bedroom player like myself it's not a major concern as it likely would be for a gigging musician.

I've also been looking at the Fender LT50, and found a video where somebody disassembles the LT25 from that series. They're in the same price range as the Vox VTX series so you can see how they might compare a little bit.

I'm also considering the Vox Cambridge 50 which is similar to the VTX series although with less options. But I'm guessing that might be just a little too big for you if size is a concern since it uses a 12" Celestion speaker.

dlwalke

It's not a full tube amp. It's a bit more gimmick than tube, but the tube they put in there does give it a feel, but it's a modeler. Okay, all that said, I've got one and it wotks great for home practice. Supports headphones quite well, sounds okay at low volumes.

I love the thing and Vox doesn't get enough love for these things.

It isn't my usual amp now though. I use an Orange Crush 35RT.

What's the purpose for the amp you are buying? Type of sound?
It would be a first amp (other than my age 20's flirtation with guitar when I had a Peavey something or other large combo of some sort). I'm early retired, and have gotten back into guitar, and need am amp for home. Not interested in playing loud and couldn't if I wanted to as my wife is working from home and we have a 1-story ranch. As for sounds, I'd like to be able to dial in a great clean tone (full, lots of depth) first and foremost, and also a nice classic rock tone (Mississippi Queen comes to mind as a perfect example), and a very full rich creamy lead tone (think solo guitar sounds on American Woman). Love the "Wind Cries Mary" kind of tone as well.

hcole

It would be a first amp (other than my age 20's flirtation with guitar when I had a Peavey something or other large combo of some sort). I'm early retired, and have gotten back into guitar, and need am amp for home. Not interested in playing loud and couldn't if I wanted to as my wife is working from home and we have a 1-story ranch. As for sounds, I'd like to be able to dial in a great clean tone (full, lots of depth) first and foremost, and also a nice classic rock tone (Mississippi Queen comes to mind as a perfect example), and a very full rich creamy lead tone (think solo guitar sounds on American Woman). Love the "Wind Cries Mary" kind of tone as well.
I’d recommend the THR over the valvetronix. I had a valvetronix about 15 years ago (so I’m sure it’s changed since then) and there were definitely good tones to be found but I found it finicky and complicated. I recently got a thr10 and have been thoroughly impressed. Sounds great and easy to dial in. I think my gigging days are done and the thr has me contemplating selling my tube amps.

HomeInMyShoes

It's always hard, but I've had a tube amp and while the Vox certainly isn't the same feel by a long shot it is decent especially for home and low volume and headphones. It has enough control on it that you don't need the app to get a good range of tones. It struggles with high gain and doesn't do well with some fuzz pedals. It is good though and for a home practice amp it is hard to beat at its price, unless you like menu diving then Fender modeling is also reasonable, but the controls on the VT series are great.

I moved to the Orange because I like pedals and found that I only really need a clean and a dirty sound out of the amp. The Orange fits that perfectly for me having being tube loudness control issues and supporting headphones to boot.

Smacky the Frog

Platinum Supporting Member
I bought my daughter an AD30VT a few years ago...I have no problem putting it to good use.
I believe (and I could be very wrong) that this was the last model that was really praised by a lot of people on this forum and in trade magazines. Since then, everything from build-quality to effects to amp models have been widely criticized.

I gave one to a friend's son, who got a lot of use out of it.

s3gle

Yes these sound remarkable for the price. The features are a great compliment to the quiet operation and impressive full volume sound. I gigged it and it was the one part of my set that didn't have to be patched for technical failures that night... It was a bit shallow to be openly frustrated by my synths mysteriously dying and comping to make up the time, ... I did a cover of that Matrix taping of Louie Louie where Jim seems ready to rewrite the lyrics. Kinda hilarious but a rough night for me

If only the memories made up for it eventually going because the pots can't be cleaned out. I've tried for 4 years to fix this amp. AD15VT

MatrixClaw

Silver Supporting Member
The AD30VT was my first amp. It's a cool little amp, sounds good for more classic tones. Higher gain is not good. Good beginner amps.

Brutus

The THRII is my go to bedroom amp. Use the app and you’ve got a whole bunch of amp sims to choose from. Pedals work fine with it, too. Had the 10 for years and this takes it to another level for the same price.

DonP

I think I bought a VT15 back in 2009 when in a corporate apt. Ended up being too loud so kept using the POD and headphones.

Back home now. I still use it occasionally. I'm lazy and just stick to the preset which I find adequate.

Senor Forum

Platinum Supporting Member
I’ll never recommend anything but a THR or THRII for home use after going through a ton of practice type amps.

The 30 gets my vote, though. Running it through two monitors turns it into a legitimately bad ass device.

Trending Topics