Van Amps Sole Mate Anyone try this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sol, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Sol

Sol Member

Just been checking this one out.
    The sound clips are fantastic, anyone have or tried out one of these things, cause it looks really cool, and if the clips are to be believed it looks like a reasonable deal, anyone want to share there experience with this ??

2. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I have the tweed model. It is a very nice pedal. Great reverb and very quiet. Many here talk about how the reverb circuit in a tube amp robs the tone....well this can give you the best of both worlds. Analogman has an informative writeup on his site that you might want to check out if you haven't.

3. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Had one that I ran in front of my Gries 5. It was just awesome. If it worked in effects loops, I'd still have it and be running it with my Fargen. I miss it.

4. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Hey BAN, why doesn't/won't it work in effects loops? Are you referring to the ReverbaMate?

5. puls

puls Member

I got one for my old non-rv princeton, but then stumbled upon a cambridge reverb the next week, so it hasn't gotten a trial by fire w/ the band yet. However, tomorrow w/ the new budda sd18 it's gonna be in the effects loop. It's always sounded great at home, no complaints. I like it a lot better then the valverb. I'll let you know how it fairs w/ the rest of the band tomorrow.

jwp

6. PlexiFuzz

Well, truth be told, I didn't even try it in the loop. I sold it before the Fargen came. But the Sole Mate manual made it seem like it didn't like loops.

Anyway, I called VanAmps last week because I was wondering if I had made a mistake and if it really would work. I talked to the guy who makes them and he warned me off of using it in the loop. He said they're made for front of the amp use.

So you've actually used it in the Budda loop and you like it? Can you tell me more about this please?

7. puls

puls Member

I tried it at home in the effects loop, I'll try it tomorrow w/ the band. It may be sensitive to input levels (the dwell control controls how much signal goes to the spring), but it sounded fine at home.

jwp

8. waylay00

waylay00 Member

So would you recommend it in the effects loop?

How does this compare to the Dr. Scientist Radical Red Reverberator?

9. PlexiFuzz

Two very different things. One is real spring reverb (i.e., with springs) and the other is a very cool reverb pedal that has most every other setting except spring. Sounds like you would need both....

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

Mine just came, the black one with white chicken knobs, and it gets the thumbs up from me. I have the output on noon, the dwell on 10'OClock. Nice atmospheric background space filler without dominating, and i "set it and forget it" - perfect. I don't like the psychobilly surf twang or the digital cavern approach, so the SoleMate hits the spot for something that doesn't ride over the tone of my amp (in this case, a '52 Princeton "TV" Tweed with no reverb).

11. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I have the Sole Mate (red with white knobs) and it is an EXCELLENT reverb unit. It covers all spring reverb territory with no noise and without adversely affecting the tone. Most of my amps do not have reverb, so this pedal is a real treat (e.g. hearing a JTM45-style Germino with reverb is pretty awesome). Remember though that it is a real spring reverb, so you can't just jump on it (unless you WANT to make a crashing sound).

12. Jahn

oh and dont put it RIGHT in front of the amp's speaker. it's a mechanical spring after all, and will indeed start to feedback. don't want to have to suspend it in air like Dick Dale!

13. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I've been using my blonde Sole Mate for the last few weeks and I really like it. It is a great reverb that sounds like it is built into the amp, yet is footswitchable and on my board. It sounds great with my Clark and Greer. I have yet to hear a reverb better than this that wasn't tube driven and built into an amp.

14. Jahn

This reminds me, sometime I'm going to have to test the Aux footswitch option.

15. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I have a black sole mate, bought it about 8 months ago. It is just as good as claimed. I love the sound of my outboard tank too, but it's the sole mate mostly at gigs. Similar sound -- not identical, but not all that different either. It's quiet, well built, sounds excellent.

I had the RRR also. That's another excellent unit. No spring setting, but lots of other cool reverb tones, excellent controls, adjustability. The only reason I don't still use it is because I have the Sole Mate, and prefer the spring sound. The RRR is by far the best digital reverb I've tried.

16. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Love mine. I'm a reverb junkie and the Solemate fills the bill nicely. Works really well in front of an overdriven amp as well which really surprised me. There's a fantastic video on Youtube by a kid that goes by MarT. There's a link to it on the Van Amps Site.

17. FAC

FAC Member

I'm glad to see the Sole-Mate getting such positive comments...I've had one for a few months and think it is just great, although it does not seem to get much attention on this forum. I do use the Aux switch to turn a tape echo unit on/off...it works fine.

18. Sol

Sol Member

Wow, thanks for all the replies to my thread, thers clearly a good fan base for this unit, and I can see this unit in my near future.

Anyone think this a better unit than the Fender stand alone tube reverb unit ?

19. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Better maybe in terms of convenience. A bit different tonally, but has a comparable character to the Fender tank. It's close. The Fender is ahead slightly on depth and warmth, behind (decidedly) on noise. It also depends amp to amp. On stage, either one does the trick.

20. Sol

Sol Member

Yea,Mad dog, Id be using this with an ancient AC30 a '66 I think
    I can understand that a valve driven unit is going to have an inherant warmth, not usually found elswhere.
    I think that its the fact that it works really well going through the front end of the amp that appeals ,as none of my amps have effects loops.

Does anyone think the Van Amps Sole Mate better than any of the didgital reverb pedals out at the moment?