Van Halen 1 Old Sound Which New Production El34

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by nitro, Jun 24, 2006.

1. nitro

nitro Senior Member

Out of all the new production EL34 tubes which would come close to the van halen 1 sound there is this top end thats missing in my sound and if you listen to van halen 1 he gets this nice top end thanks for your help........

2. samwheat

samwheat Member

there is much more to just power tubes to early vh tone

3. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Yeah you also need Toadworks MR. Ed pedal will give you the great Brown tone.

4. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I find the same problem when trying to get close to that sound especially recorded. Its hard to get that top end sizzle but still full and thick like eds's was. Lets face it if he can't get that sound anymore how could any of us? Try a graphic eq or a rangemaster.. It can't hurt.

5. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

BTW someone a while ago stated their was a blankenship amp that nailed it. Not sure which amp though. I have yet to hear any recording that truley nails that sound. Some have been in the ballpark at best. Good luck

6. doc

doc Member

Do a Google search for legendarytones and Van Halen. There's a pretty good article on Eddie's early amp setup. I think the key is being able to dime your Marshall into a dummy load, then feeding that into your time based effects, then reamping (or going into the board from there). I'm sure tube selection is a bit of the recipe as well, but not as much as the above.

7. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

If I were to swap tubes I would go for some winged "C" Svetlanas.
    They sound awesomely thick in old Marshalls.
    There is ofcourse more to it than that though,
    I get great results from my MI Audio Crunch Box.
    Ive since found that all my other overdrive/distortions are off the board.:eek:
    EVH in a box any many more options considering there is now an internal prescence control to "shape" the pedal.

8. EL35

EL35 Member

OK, so realistically the tubes won't really add an EVH flavour to a random amp, but if you're already close I'd go for the Ruby EL34B-STR or the EH 6CA7. Both amazing tubes, and if I think of VH I wouldn't personally recommend =C= Svetlanas. They're cool tubes, very reliable, but they lack a bit of character to me (IMO and YMMV of course). For classic crunch I'd prefer EH EL34, and for EVH extra-sizzle the two mentioned above.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

My JSX on the crunch channel (gain around 11 oclock)equipped with old long plate mullards in the V-2 and V-3 and EH EL34's with slight flange in the loop thru v-30's cranked up good and loud gets me close enough for me.:cool:

10. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

All the equipment in the world wouldn't help me sound like Van Halen. ;)
    I think players should look for their own tone myself. Well, that's my only hope! :D

11. bailnout

bailnout Member

12. nitro

nitro Senior Member

I settled on the JJE34L tubes its THE tube for the old van halen sound in my opinion...........