Van halen 30 sec preview clips of the whole record

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by carbz, Jan 27, 2012.

1. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Apparently someone has the record and uploaded a little sample of most of the songs onto youtube. Just type in Van Halen, filter today's uploads and flip through the first few pages. Some interesting stuff.

2. papersoul

papersoul Member

Too bad their new album is horrible!

3. Ben R

Ben R Member

That's a matter of opinion if there ever was one.

4. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

Horrible? Really? Jeez, what a bunch of jaded people who continue to bash VH's new one relentlessly. I mean, it's not life altering and I don't know if I'll buy it or not, but I wouldn't by any means consider it horrible.

5. gennation

gennation Member

I hated Van Halen 1 when it came out, and the next few releases. It wasn't until Fair Warning that I started liking a couple of tunes. Then a buddy took me to see them on the Fair Warning tour...been a huge fan ever since.

I like this stuff right out of the box way better than I did Running With the Devil and Jamie's Cryin' ad Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love.

I'm serious to hear the full album, in the order the planned on us hearing them.

6. scriptphase

scriptphase Member

Love the clips. Was kinda hoping EVH would dust off The Grail for some recording, considering all the talk about it being worked by Friedman and Suhr in recent years, and the spirit of nostalgia running high with a number of reworked tracks from the club days. Sounds like all 5153 to me from what I've heard so far, but I hope to be proven wrong.

7. Ben R

Ben R Member

8. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

9. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

that Outta Space song sounds pretty kickass, namely cause it sounds like it could have come off the first couple records...

10. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

11. sgv

sgv Member

I didn't expect them to rework that many demos...

12. c_mac

c_mac Member

The more of the record I hear the more I like what the Van Halen's are doing. However, I'm finding that I really wish that they would have made this record with Sammy. Dave's part are pretty weak in my opinion. His singing, his lyrics, his melodies - pretty much his entire performance. I know that's heresy, I get it.

13. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

:agreeThat's worth the price of admission right there. Big River = Big trouble, She's the Woman = She's the Woman etc.

Their single "tattoo" is probably the weakest song on the disc so that is reassuring.

14. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

I think it has a lot of VH1 in it...

maybe the rawness of the sound?

15. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

I agree. Musically, this album sounds really promising. But Dave's "singing" is very obviously the weak link now, and that's with all the studio tools available while they recorded. Live could be a train wreck.

I know i'll get flamed for this, but some of those tracks actually sound like they would be cool with Gary Cherone singing on them...
    :hide

16. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

bullethead sounds 1 or 2 ish...some really promising stuff here! Its not all mousy mouf crap.

17. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

completely disagree

i listened to the previews and imo the biggest clunker on the album is stay frosty. i think that one should have gone straight to the recycle bin. strongest song i listened to was she`s the woman, that song shimmied and moved the way i think vh ought to.

18. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    One of their best demos was Please Don't Leave me Alone ..... too bad they didn't include it! :red I'm thinking it would have been vocally challenged at this point.

19. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I won't flame you for saying that as :agree. IF Gary were allowed to sing in a key he's comfortable in..... :munch Dave's vocals sound pretty strained on what I've heard so far.

20. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I'm not sure why they did use so many demo songs for this record. It's kind of cheesy IMO. I could see putting one on there but they should have used all completely new songs even if the some of the ideas were old. Anyway my favorite tunes of VH that didn't make it record are these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp37Bov19Vk

This one is probably my favorite though there are no vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_nwqqly99o