VAN HALEN ALERT: Opening Night...Opening Song

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
No one's whining. They each brought their own thing to the band. Sammy was selling out arenas when VH wasn't.
All I[m saying.

I could gives a ****. If ED would move forward and STFU about former members, they might keep from pissing off the rest of the fan base.
The only guy who's cool about any of this stuff...is Mike Anthony. He gets it. He flat says..who cares..it just pisses off the fans.
That's a class guy.

motorchang

Grown up people bickering over something that was none of their business at all, taking sides like a high school argument. I've got no time for that. Everyone has his/her own truth and a version of story of what really went down. That's life. Deal with that. They sound good, Eddie plays great. That's all I care.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
OK one Whine. I wish Dave wouldn't smile during the killer parts. Where is the Dave Scowl? The sinister smile?

vladorg

Gold Supporting Member
Where did he agree with Ed in his own book? I own it and have read it. He's always flown the flag that Mikey was underappreciated.
I have the book as well. I can't find the two mega threads about the EVH Billboard interview and Sammy's rebuttal, but in one of them the passage from his book was scanned and posted.

emdub123

At some point in one of the many VH threads, someone said that EVH was one of, if not THE best rock rhythm guitar players of all time. This video certainly is evidence of that. There's no denying that he's come up with some of the catchiest, hookiest riffs of the rock era. I've never been a big fan of the solos but the guy's got some serious groove. Most of the DLR vocals that I've seen over the last several years have sucked, but he's got the timing right on this one so I have to say I'm surprised. This is a pretty damn good clip.

Bankston

From those clips, Dave sounds better than that live album for sure. Can't believe they actually released those recordings.

big mike

Cathode biased
I have the book as well. I can't find the two mega threads about the EVH Billboard interview and Sammy's rebuttal, but in one of them the passage from his book was scanned and posted.

I'll reread it again, but I have I have a hard time picturing sammy changing his story.
I'm sure EVH rerecorded or did whatever he wanted on bass and made mikey do it, but i don't buy the video ********.
and anyrate, it's stupid to bring the **** back up. Mikey's never taken a single shot against any of them.

big mike

Cathode biased
Grown up people bickering over something that was none of their business at all, taking sides like a high school argument. I've got no time for that. Everyone has his/her own truth and a version of story of what really went down. That's life. Deal with that. They sound good, Eddie plays great. That's all I care.

I'm basically there...but I care if the guy's an a-hole to a degree.
There was no reason to bring that **** back up except to megalomania. Had enough of the VH bros.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
3/4ths of the band sound great.

Sad but I won't be going to seem 'em on this tour because I just can't listen to Dave butcher every song.

He actually sounded a lot better than he has. To me at least.

vladorg

Gold Supporting Member
I'll reread it again, but I have I have a hard time picturing sammy changing his story.
I'm sure EVH rerecorded or did whatever he wanted on bass and made mikey do it, but i don't buy the video ********.
and anyrate, it's stupid to bring the **** back up. Mikey's never taken a single shot against any of them.

I agree, they should let the sleeping dogs lie. I don't believe the video cam story either, Sammy agreed basically that Mike hardly did anything in the band I don't remember the exact words, but it's in there).

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I'd almost rather watch them as a trio and let Ed and Wolf sing the tunes. Wow. He's brutal, and it's hard seeing Ed look like a vacationing Santa Clause with that goatee.

I love this band, always have, always will, but these videos are painful to watch. I found it quite telling that the Van Halen's came out on one side of the stage while Roth came out from the other.

I hope they make it through the tour so those who want to see them can get the chance. They were once a fantastic band, and I'm sure there will be moments when they'll show that again. It will just be when Dave isn't singing, and not as often as it used to be.

Glad they're still playing, and I actually liked quite a few of the songs of their last album. My hope is we get one more album of cool riffs, if nothing else.

JohnnyGtar

You know, like I said earlier in this thread, I think Dave sounds a helluva lot better on this show than he did on the live album, but at the same time, Ed, Al, and Wolf are playing their asses off, and I'm very happy about that.

JohnnyGtar

I have to disagree that Dave has always sounded like this or close to it. I've got boots of the early stuff where he sounds badass.

John Hurtt

You folks are a bunch of posers. Bugzapper has it right. And it is a show they put on. I like Dave's show over Sammy's. Quite Frankly we can talk Eddies playing, Mike ain't in the band, they're 60. But for me and most fans Van Halen is half or more DLR. I got interested in the band not ever cause he was a hi-end singer, but an entertainer. With Sammy, Van Halen would never have been more popular. It is all owed to Dave. Dave was on a one man mission and that was for you to be aware of his bad ass band. OK rant over, put your bra's on and resume the whining.
I respectfully disagree...

micycle

yeh how dare he get old

Yeah plus he looks a hell of a lot better than 10 years ago when he was basically the alcoholic version of the witch with the apple from Snow White! I think he looks great. Yet another one of my heroes that seems to have turned things around and manage to not just numb himself into obscurity (Knock on wood..)

timmytVA

WAAAAY better than the Jimmy Kimmel performance. And an interesting set list. Might have to re-consider attending.

Tim

Trending Topics

Top Bottom