1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Van Halen I released today (2/10/78)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 67blackcherry, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Electric I

Electric I Member

Superlative in it's day & their high-water mark for me.

MoarGear and monty like this.
  2. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

a couple of months later in Wichita, straight from the soundboard...

3. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Funny when VH1 came out I wasn't blown away. I remember thinking the sound of the band was very Dark and Heavy. In 78 I wasn't even playing guitar yet. I was into ACDC, Zep Nuggent Aerosmith....and yes KISS as well. Alive 2 came out the same year. It wasn't till W&CF that I really started Digging VH.

4. gitfiddler99

gitfiddler99 Member

This album is the reason I forgot about drums and saw (at 14) that guitar could truly sound like a dragster or something...and here I am , at 47, still chasing it! Guitar before that didn’t inspire me at all.

5. Kdawg1966

Kdawg1966 Member

Guitarists? Should be a holiday for America!

MoarGear, monty, Hacksaw and 2 others like this.
  6. Sam Hill

Sam Hill Member

There's a story of how, when the album came out, a group of L.A. session musicians were in the studio listening to the album, and couldn't understand what it was they were hearing; they were baffled. Lee Ritenour shows up, listens for a couple minutes, then proceeds to figure it out.

When it takes a Lee Ritenour to decode your technique, you've stumbled on something pretty unique.

And Eddie was only, what, 22?

R3deemed, fretless and monty like this.
  7. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

When the album came out, I was already waiting for it and had told several kids at
    school about it.

Hit Parader magazine had gone Kiss crazy, and had reported that Gene Simmons had
    signed a new band.

That band was VH, and based on those stories I had huge anticipation for the debut.

It was at least as good as I was hoping.

Misterbulbous, MoarGear and fretless like this.
  8. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Ice Cream Man remains my actual favorite track, though I love them all.

PLX likes this.
  9. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    My Boss's 14 year old son brought two VH albums out to a job site where we were running some wire and said, take these and check em out. :red It was VH1 and II .... I was into other stuff at the time, Phil Keaggy and pretty much away from main stream rock. I plopped them on the turn table when I got home and it was like holy crap! I mean, I heard Runnin with the Debil already, but the other stuff is what grabbed me :eeks It's like the best guitar tone I've ever heard ever :love:

monty, MoarGear and PLX like this.