Van Halen III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NewWorldMan, Jun 5, 2018.

1. NewWorldMan

NewWorldMan Member

I recently dusted off all of the "Van Hagar" albums and had forgotten how much I enjoyed them. I hadn't listened to any of them in years. Going down that rabbit hole led to break out the widely panned Van Halen III album as well.

To my surprise, I enjoyed the album much better than I remembered it from the late 90s. That being said, I tried to do some Google searches for interviews with Ed regarding the recording of the album, but I had trouble finding anything on it.

Does anyone know what was used on the album - 5150 II and cab, the old Marshall, etc?

2. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

There are some good tunes and tones on that album. My fav is One I Want. I still play it about once a week when I'm noodling. Fire in the Hole is awesome. I thought everything on that album was Peavey, but can't recall reading an interview about its making.

Shnook and NewWorldMan like this.
  3. NewWorldMan

NewWorldMan Member

Agreed! I couldn't find hardly any interviews about the recording of the album. I did find one with Ed, but there wasn't any discussion of gear.

4. keithb7

keithb7 Member

Dirty Water Dog! Another catchy tune. I was a huge VH fan. All the albums were in regular rotation. Then things got weird. Even more so when I first heard VHIII. Alas, there is some great guitar work on it.

It is hard to say what amps were used on that VHIII. It was all mixed so dark sounding.

I too recently started re-listening to my fave VH songs from back in the day. Feelings got stirred up of when I used to spend 4-5 hours per evening after school trying to learn all of Eddie’s songs. Those were great innocent times. No job. No wife. No kids. Just my guitar.

This led me to call up an old friend this week. I used to gig with him 15 years ago. He bought a new USA Wolfgang in ‘04. It has been sitting in a closet for several years. He brought it over. We had a beer. Now I own it.

I have not accomplished a damn thing since I brought that Peavey into my house. Well maybe one thing. I’m woodshedding VH songs like mad. Lovin’ in!

5. twotone

twotone Member

As I said in a couple of other threads, I think the variance in tone on different albums may be due to the use of different cabinets, speakers, miking, and EQ.

6. normal ninja

normal ninja Member

i'm hearing a heavily modified am radio w/ like 5 AAs instead of a 9 volt ~re-amped of course

7. NewWorldMan

NewWorldMan Member

Thanks for sharing! I have similar nostalgic feelings about a lot of albums when it was just a younger me and my guitar without the adult responsibilities (wife, kids, jobs, etc). Definitely an innocent era with a lot of fond memories.

8. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I think he would have been using his 5150's exclusively at the time. Maybe that would just be on tour though. Tough to say what he recorded with without actually being there.

9. bigben55

bigben55 Member

Back in like 2000, 2001, I was working as a salesman. Knew I had a bonus coming, knew I was buying a new guitar with it, had months to decide what. I was set on a G&L ASAT Deluxe. Then i played a Wolfgang. And wound up ordering one brand new. Cherryburst, flame maple top, hardtail. It had the best feeling and playing neck! To this day I scotchbrite all the laquer off the backs of maple necks. Kept that guitar 5 years or so. It's a high output rock machine for sure., but when strapped on, it always felt small to me.

10. shadow mask

shadow mask Member

I love that album. Cherone is no worse than Hagar, I just tried to ignore him.
    There are some amazing songs on it. I like “Without You” the best. He throws in a cool lick Clapton used on “Born Under a Bad Sign” and the main solo is really nice as well. “Dirty Water Dog”, “One I Want” which is reminscent of The Who, and “Fire in the Hole” are great guitar tracks. I love the piano on “How Many Say I” too. It’s a very experimental, left-field album. Eddie probably felt quite despondent that so many fans rejected it.

The live shows were good too. There is a DVD of them performing in Australia and there is some other concert footage on YouTube. Eddie was on great technical form for that album and tour.

Shnook likes this.
  11. Cliffhydro

Cliffhydro Supporting Member

Yep. That coupled with Cherone’s willingness to play Dave era stuff. At that point we hadn’t heard Ed play a lot of those songs in years.

Pidgin English likes this.
  12. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I loved that tour! I saw two shows, right down up front. Those guys killed!

13. chance0

chance0 Member

VHIII's guitars sounded huge back in the day. Now they sound tiny. Not really sure what changed over the years (probably me). But I think the more gain and detuning Eddie implemented, the tinier his sound got. At some points, it sounds like he's playing a Strat with super-low output single coils that go, "ting ting ting!"

Fire in the Hole did sound big, if not a little dated in tone and melody.

14. Shnook

Shnook Member

Wasn’t the 5150 II released around this time? I was neck deep in all things Van Halen during this period. Had 3 Peavey Wolfgang’s and a 5150 Combo. I immediately tried out the 5150 II when it hit my local dealer and was really disappointed with it. Thought it sounded thin and nasally compared to the 5150. VHIII mix was so murky.

Anyway, if you listen to VH III with an open mind and without expectations there’s some good stuff in there. I think Ed was looking to move in a different direction and was majorly hurt when fans didn’t get it. I noticed him getting rather surly in interviews after that and then dig himself into a dark hole.

15. BuckshotJenkins

BuckshotJenkins Silver Supporting Member

I like some of the ideas on the record, and I’m not trying to be a snob, but I think if it had better production and Gary didn’t sound like he was straining so bad on most of his singing… It really could’ve been much, much better.

16. Shnook

Shnook Member

If I remember correctly I think EVH pushed Gary to sound like that thinking it was gonna be like what happened when Hager joined on 5150. I always thought Gary was a decent singer but not on VH III.

BuckshotJenkins likes this.
  17. Big'Uns

Big'Uns Member

According to Hagar, Cherone told him that everything he sang is what Ed told him to sing......melodies and everything.

18. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

At this point I had already stepped off the VH love train.

19. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I read a Guitar World interview back in the early 2000 I think. Edward was lamenting the mix of the VHIII album. The interviewer - Vic Garbarini - was saying when he heard an analog reel to reel version of the album before it got mixed to digital and said that it was night and day; like the mix for CD was underwater.

Kentano2000 likes this.
  20. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Yes, the mix, production, engineering; all the technical sonic aspects of the LP sucked. Such a letdown after the 2 Glen Ballard produced DLR reunion tracks on the Best Of collection.