Van Halen "i'll pass,thanks"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mesamark5, Feb 25, 2012.

1. mesamark5

mesamark5 Member

Why is every other thread about van halen?
    i.m.h.o. they are no longer relevant.
    The tattoo song is really,really bad.

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Now there is another............

3. Rogue

Rogue Supporting Member

Wouldn't "every other thread about Van Halen" conflict with the notion of their irrelevence?

4. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Oh thank goodness. I've been waiting for weeks for your opinion on Van Halen. I can move on now.

5. acguitar84

acguitar84 Member

:drink

:dude

6. Ben R

Ben R Member

I'll bet a million dollars that when you posted this, you hadn't heard one other song off of their new album. It's guaranteed. Regardless, you (fortunately) live (I assume) in a society where you have free will and can choose to listen to something else. Moving along...

7. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

don't let Tattoo stop you...it pretty much f*cking rocks- a lot of Eddie, loud and up front...someone put a fire under that dude and he's performing the best he has in almost 30 years (admittedly, I was never a fan of Van Hagar)-

his kid isn't any slouch either...matches dad note-for-note on a lot of material

full-on rock...and I'm really happy to hear it from them again

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Actually, I can't move on....I'm waiting to hear what else mesamark dislikes.

9. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

"Relevance" when applied to music is IMO the worst misuse of a word in cultural vernacular the 21st century so far. The only thing I can gather is that means 14 year olds haven't heard of it.

10. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

Not sure what's worse, the fact that this thread was started, the fact that I agree with its premise, or the vultures who jumped all over him for starting it.

Looks like we all lose here.

11. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Rolling Stone has at least two mentions of Van Halen in their latest issue. A photo of EVH jumping in their Random Notes section and a glowing 3.5 (out of four) star review of their latest album. Of course, this issue also has articles on Neil Young, Joey Ramone and Paul McCartney on the cover so it might not be relevant either.

12. Tune Up

Tune Up Member

Tattoo is just one song out of thirteen. There are better tunes on the album, imo.

Ummm, if being in a band with a great new album and selling out arena's in a matter of hours is not relevant, then I would love to be in a "no longer relevant" band, sign me up!

I guess Van Halen is so irrelevant at this point, that every ohter thread is about them. Hmmm????

To me, relevance is irrelevant. At this point, I view music as either I enjoy it or I don't.

13. Ben R

Ben R Member

I would say that the fact that it was the #2 selling album (out of every type of music there is) on the Billboard 200 chart last week means that it (and they) are "relevant".

14. wahfreak

wahfreak Member

I've listened to the entire disk and some songs are good old school VH. Others are just ok just like every other album I've listened to in the past 40 years.

15. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, they're about as relevant as Phish. There's some cuttin' edge relevancy.

16. Ben R

Ben R Member

If someone doesn't like a band, song, album, etc... they can easily just ignore subject matter about it and do their own thing / read other threads, instead. When someone goes out of their way to make a thread like this, it's called "baiting". He's getting what he asked for.

17. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Kind of dramatic, don't you think?

18. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

OPINIONS?!?! WTF do you think this is? Some kind of open forum to discuss things??? WTH!!!

:sarcasm

19. ManliusGuitar

ManliusGuitar Member

I actually think both are pretty relevant to current rock music in terms of popluarity and tix sales... Both are among a handful of acts that regularly sell out large venues in short order and have enthusiastic fanbases. Phish is a rare group that regularly sells out the large Shed's for summer tour, and their 2009 tour was one of the most succesful of the year.

Like or hate Phish or VH, both sell tickets years into their careers and sell more tickets than all but a few of the current 'relevant' rock bands....

20. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

I was being sarcastic, as I know the OP digs phish.