1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Van Halen: Live Without a Net

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pidgin English, Feb 5, 2019.

1. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

I saw that tour at the now closed Joe Louis Arena. I believe all of my fillings came out after that show being blasted out by Eddie’s weaponized finger tapping launched from his amps. Seriously - it was amazing and band was in top form and I recall him roaming the stage with the Steinberger. Also remember Hagar on a platform way above the stage singing “been to the edge ... stood and looked down” line while hanging over the railing. Good times.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    monty, Pidgin English and sahhas like this.
  2. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

True dat...I segue’d into a general latter-day ramble. Insomnia LOL.

Pidgin English likes this.
  3. sahhas

sahhas Member

yea, I often wonder who makes the decision to release what singles off albums, of course it was more important back in the days when radio mattered...and I can see "why can't this be love" sort of was a followup to "jumps" sound/success...but I agree, Summer Nights would have been a far better song to release, it was the perfect song for summer time...

and yes, Tattoo, is a decent song, but honestly, I would have released "Big River"..that's a great song, or "you and yer blues"...oh well....
    after reading the Monk book, I can't imagine managing VH from 78-84....it's probably amazing they made it to '84!

Misterbulbous and Pidgin English like this.
  4. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

To the extent I was a VH fan my interest peaked at the time of the first two LPs (as did many others').

One of my best friends (then and now) was a VH fanatic and one of the few Sammy-over-Dave types in those days for which he took a daily dose of slings and arrows. He wore out his cassette of 5150 and never failed to point out that the radio edit of 'Dreams' had the guitar fills between the keyboard lines while the album version did not.

He purchased this VHS the day it came out, pushed it into his cheap mono VCR into a cheap console TV with a 6 in mono speaker and watched in rapt attention.

monty likes this.
  5. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I knew what you meant :)

xjojox likes this.
  6. Big'Uns

Big'Uns Member

I agree about Dave. I often wonder how things might've played out had Jason Becker not gotten sick. At the end of the day I'm not sure he was any kind of long term fit as a writing partner for Dave. Vai probably had more pop or mainstream sensibility.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  7. Hank Habanero

Hank Habanero Member

+1

I listened to them last night, and like them better than anything with Sammy post 5150.

B Money, sahhas and Defendant like this.
  8. mikebat

mikebat Member

I swear to God, when I heard a pre-album launch live version of "Why Can't This Be Love"...I almost cried it was sooooo bad. Sammy shreiking out of tune through out and worse...in the vocal/guitar solo section. As a VH fan at the time, I was really disappointed, especially after being blown away with the Eat "Em and Smile album and tour.

I really did not like the direction they took, and that spelled the end of my VH days. To me, they went from something special to being a run of the mill rock band, up there with Scandal and Journey. That said, I reluctantly watched this concert video when it came out and....I really liked the performance, especially how much fun they exuded. I though Eddie's tone was on point too.

9. Defendant

Defendant Member

I sat a couple of meters away from Valerie watching final rehearsal of the '3’ tour and she said exactly the same thing to another fan.

Kentano2000, sahhas and Hank Habanero like this.
  10. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

I read of a similar situation in Tom Petty's biography. Petty and the Heartbreakers started out with an even-money split across all members, but at one point fairly early (don't recall exactly when) the manager pulled Petty aside and said you need to fix this, now, before the $ turns into $$$ and then it turns into $$$$$, because it'll be way harder to fix later. Sage advice, I thought.

11. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Alex Van Halen would fall into this same camp, then? You just can't screw one guy and let another roll because he is your brother...it's going to cause problems.

12. Big'Uns

Big'Uns Member

Precisely. Al never wrote a song in his life.

John Hurtt likes this.
  13. sahhas

sahhas Member

It did cause trouble, as Sammy pointed out in his book. He felt the same, that Alex didn't really contribute either...as the drummer...
    there is part of my that agrees, and then part that doesn't....i think the heart of a lot of bands is the drummer....and Alex is one of the best of them I think.....

Well, this is what happened to Nirvana. Up to I think the release of Nevermind, they had a 1/3 split for all the band members...but when Nevermind started to hit big, he wanted a 90/5/5 split, since he sang the songs, wrote most and played guitar....I think all agreed b/c they were Nirvana and were on the verge of being big...otherwise I think he probably would have left and just became the Kurt Cobain Experience (last part is a joke, this is all from memory of reading one of their bios a # of years ago)....

I suppose this all leads to the model that Springsteen took, he said democratic bands don't work for most songwriters, they need/want to be dictators, and everyone around them are paid minions....it works for the big names who bring in big $$$, not sure how it works for everyone else....but I can see where it causes friction too...

John Hurtt likes this.
  14. somecafone

somecafone Member

The conversation between Mike Campbell and Stan Lynch was recounted in the book.
    Mike said there would be “rich, richer, and richest.”
    Stan wasn’t happy.
    That book was a fine read. Didn’t flinch nor did it glorify.

15. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I see what you’re saying, but it does seem like Alex put in a lot of time playing drums while Eddie wrote, the two of them jamming, working out parts, etc. If not co-writing, then at least assisting with writing and arranging.

monty likes this.
  16. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

What did Hagar say...that the hours of songs "in the can" were nothing more than jams? History seems to bear this out...or there are some great songs that Eddie for some reason doesn't want to use.

17. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

I agree the song writer should get the most because he/she has most of the pressure to create ("where are the songs? where's the hook? go back in and re-work it - the chorus needs to be way stronger[producer]"). whether 90-5-5 is fair - sounds crazy but who knows what's behind that.

sahhas likes this.
  18. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Yep; I enjoyed the book as well. And I thought the manager was wise to call it out relatively early in the band's journey.

If memory serves, having read a few histories of Nirvana, Kurt made that change AFTER Nevermind went huge, and it was retroactive, which meant Dave and Krist owed him money.

Correspondingly, I've read a bit about the Foo Fighters setup - and it's all Dave. He owns everything and they work for him.

Pidgin English and sahhas like this.
  19. sahhas

sahhas Member

it's been a number of years since I read Val's book, I don't remember her talking much about the Hagar years, I'm not sure she thought all that much of Hagar , but I could be reading more into it than what is there. She seemed pretty diplomatic about it all, but she did state that she preferred the DLR era stuff , she loved the song Romeo's Delight....who doesn't love that song, now knowing young Val B. loved it!

Defendant likes this.
  20. wamba

wamba Member

And some guy named Montrose...

Hammered, Pidgin English and sahhas like this.