1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Van Halen: Live Without a Net

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pidgin English, Feb 5, 2019.

1. jfb44

jfb44 Member

Lol...the misuse is probably due to receiving a "poverished" education.

2. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I like the drums from that era :anon

Admittedly, though, a band I like has to go pretty far of course to lose me. I even like WCTBL, but I get why some guys don't think it should've been a single.

The other thing, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ed stop playing keys and a track instead after that tour? Maybe he actually played them on the OU812 tour too...

Tony likes this.
  3. negative.feedback

negative.feedback Member

I used to watch this on VHS years ago - I've always wondered how much of it was "fixed in the studio" because EVH is so flawless in it. The sad part is that I don't think it's doctored at all.... I think EVH was just "that good".

4. sahhas

sahhas Member

Just found this (so I was wrong on the %’s, was working from memory):

EXCERPT FROM 'HEAVIER THAN HEAVEN' BY CHARLES R. CROSS

Page 241: "When the band signed their original publishing deal, Kurt had agreed to evenly split songwriting royalties with Novoselic and Grohl. This was generous, but at the time no one imagined the record would sell millions. With the phenomenal success of 'Nevermind', Kurt insisted these percentages be shifted to give him the bulk of the revenue - he proposed a 75/25 split on the music, with him getting 100 percent of the lyrics - and he wanted the agreement to be retroactive. "I think once 'Nevermind' was playing itself out, Kurt began to realize that [publishing contracts] weren't just theoretical documents; that this was real money," observed attorney Alan Mintz. "The publishing splits meant lifestyle issues." Krist and Dave felt betrayed that Kurt wanted the new deal to be retroactive, but they eventually agreed, thinking the other option was dissolving the band. Kurt had resolutely told Rosemary Carroll-now simultaneously serving as lawyer for Kurt, Courtney, and Nirvana - he would break up the band if he didn't get his way. Though Grohl and Novoselic blamed Courtney, Carroll remembered Kurt being unmovable on the issue. "His focus was laser-like," she observed. "He was very clear and very persistent, and knew to the penny what he was talking about. He knew what he was worth, and he knew he deserved all the money, [since] he wrote all the lyrics and the music." Ultimately, the percentages didn't leave as deep a hurt as the manner in which Kurt chose to handle it: As with most conflicts, he avoided the issue until he was in a rage. Several of the band's crew members were shocked to hear Kurt talking badly about Krist, who had been one of the greatest anchors in his life."

TubeStack likes this.
  5. Big'Uns

Big'Uns Member

“Kurt and Courtney saw that these weren’t theoretical documents, this was a bottomless heroin supply”.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    B Money likes this.
  6. monty

monty Member

Wow, never heard of that! Is it available anywhere to listen to?

7. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

monty likes this.
  8. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

I think the guitar-flourish version is more or less the de facto version now...my digital copy of 5150 has the guitar fills mid-verse at least.

monty likes this.
  9. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

that's the one on the live album I can't handle because it's obviously out of Sammy's range. Great album cut though.

Pidgin English likes this.
  10. roachone

roachone Member

I think he sounds great on this song. That's definitely a song that would be a hard to sing.

Bob Maximus likes this.
  11. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

12. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

what is happening at 0:16?

13. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I was wondering about this over the weekend. I was listening to Live: Right Here Right Now and for some reason, it didn't sound as joyous as Live Without a Net. Made me wonder if the bloom started coming off the rose around the time of Carnal Knowledge.

sahhas likes this.
  14. sahhas

sahhas Member

well, if you read Sam's book, you'll not watch "Live:Right here right now" the same again. I know for me that happened. I did not know they recut the album...but honestly, like I said "substance abuse"...it clouds judgement...
    I'm not saying one version is more right or wrong...in a lot of ways both versions are probably right, there are many perspectives looking at the situation....
    the F.U....album is probably their high watermark, music wise....loved Ed's EB guitar...I should probably get that on CD...long ago I lost my cassette....
    It's funny, when I listen to the 2nd Chickenfoot album, I think there are some really good songs on there....I think in the end it just boils down to the chemistry, and I'm not sure they had that going for them all the time....I think Ed wanted a singer for their band, but I think Sam thought of himself as a solo artist mostly...so that will cause friction...
    i guess life goes on.....

15. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I don't care what era people like - Van Halen was unbelievable at this point.
    IMO this was the best they've ever been - everything working, everything on fire.
    And the fun they were having - as well as the musicianship was off the charts.

I might add that Michael Anthony was fantastic vocally and on the bass. Listen
    to his perfect mimicking of Hagar on the 5150 Chorus.

16. Bankston

Bankston Member

Alan Fitzgerald, ex-Montrose and Night Ranger, played keys off-stage on several Van Halen tours.

Kentano2000 and R3deemed like this.
  17. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Yeah, RHRN (to me) didn't have the vibe that LWAN did, and after reading Sammy's book it all made sense.

sahhas likes this.
  18. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

They're just on fire and it shows in the performance. The crowd kinda doesn't know what to expect, and you can see that in the first tune. Putting myself in their shoes, if I was a massive VH fan prior to 5150 I would've gone to this show thinking "Alright, well, let's see if they still have it."

By the end of the 1st tune the place is going bananas.

19. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I had no idea...thank you.

20. gitfiddler99

gitfiddler99 Member

Micheal Anthony redid back up vocals right after the show in the mobile recording unit. That’s about all the fixing that was done.