Van Halen opening night soundcheck (no DLR) and it sounds great ...

Guitarfool

Supporting Member
Holy cow they sound great and Eddie is playing with some ferocity in this clip, holy sh!t hes KILLING IT!! :eeks

I am not a David Lee Roth basher, (he actually sounds better so far from the early clips) but this performance sounds great without him singing lol.. How cool this must have been to see live, seriously?

:dude

Bloomfield fan

Silver Supporting Member
wow!!! his best playing since the **** tour? maybe even better. What exactly happened to Eddie, his playing has been way off for years, this sound check is better than the Kimmel and Ellen performances. I am glad he is back? Seriously I have not heard him this good since 93. Whats the song at 24 min? I have not bought a VH record since For Unlawful, but have heard them at least once.

Guitarfool

Supporting Member
wow!!! his best playing since the **** tour? maybe even better. What exactly happened to Eddie, his playing has been way off for years, this sound check is better than the Kimmel and Ellen performances. I am glad he is back? Seriously I have not heard him this good since 93. Whats the song at 24 min? I have not bought a VH record since For Unlawful, but have heard them at least once.

Yea his playing is really fierce on this clip, the whole band sounds great, to be in that audience yelling out songs, wow

The song your asking about is Chinatown and it was from the last CD they made a couple years ago

Bloomfield fan

Silver Supporting Member
listened to it twice, just didn't love it, even with some of the club era songs being recycled.

Blix

Supporting Member
What exactly happened to Eddie, his playing has been way off for years, this sound check is better than the Kimmel and Ellen performances.
He is slowly getting his dopamine levels in his brain back, after a lifetime of booze and drugs. I bet he's had a hard time enjoying playing after he went sober, but it's surely coming back now, I hear the exact same thing as you.

diamonded

That is incredible. That dude is sixty years old and his playing on that clip is the best i've heard from him in a long, long time.
As singular a talent as has ever picked up an electric guitar.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Best guitar player evAr!! by a long shot. :bow

Dang, they could sell the crap out of just band tracks like that!

That was great, thanks for posting.

59burst

Gold Supporting Member
That was great! Such fluidity, groove, and swagger in his playing. So happy to hear him sounding so good!!!!

Jube2550

Thanks for sharing OP. Amazed, like the folks with egg on their face for ever stating or counting EVH out.

Nickstrtcstr

Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger
Damn. This is why they were arguably the best American rock and roll band ever. What a groove.

Lance

Aw dang! Can't wait to get home tonight and listen to this through some decent speakers. That Light Up the Sky solo was badass!!! Crud, stupid work is stupid.

ChazMania

Silver Supporting Member
yeah count me in as blown away to bits!! This is just ferocious! You could have told me some of this was 20-25 years old and I would have believed it.

67blackcherry

Here's my review of the concert two nights ago
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/van-halen-irvine-meadows-ca-7-14-2015.1597990/

Tuesday night was the 6th time I've seen them w/ DLR (twice in 2012, '81, '82 & '84) and can honestly say I've never seen Ed play with such precision and ferocity. The entire band was on fire (as evidenced in the video above) and it was probably one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Someone mentioned the F.U.C.K. tour, that was some epic playing as well but this? Better than he's ever played IMO.
Ed's using the flanger again, key parts like the tail end of Drop Dead Legs, pre chorus on Romeo Delight, etc...brilliant.
GO - SEE - THEM - this time out.

Last edited:

Misterbulbous

Here's my review of the concert two nights ago
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/van-halen-irvine-meadows-ca-7-14-2015.1597990/

Tuesday night was the 6th time I've seen them w/ DLR (twice in 2012, '81, '82 & '84) and can honestly say I've never seen Ed play with such precision and ferocity. The entire band was on fire (as evidenced in the video above) and it was probably one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Someone mentioned the F.U.C.K. tour, that was some epic playing as well but this? Better than he's ever played IMO.
Ed's using the flanger again, key parts like the tail end of Drop Dead Legs, pre chorus on Romeo Delight, etc...brilliant.
GO - SEE - THEM - this time out.
I saw them on their 2012 kick off show in Louisville - killer. Also going to Cincy on Aug 31. I really wish they would have worked up a radio-friendly "new" tune for this year -- Even if it was a cover that they used to do like "rock and roll hoochie cool" or "beer drinkers/hell raisers". Nonetheless, I'm so happy that Ed appears to be peaking higher than he ever has live.

Trending Topics