Van Halen opening night soundcheck (no DLR) and it sounds great ...

67blackcherry

I saw them on their 2012 kick off show in Louisville - killer. Also going to Cincy on Aug 31. I really wish they would have worked up a radio-friendly "new" tune for this year -- Even if it was a cover that they used to do like "rock and roll hoochie cool" or "beer drinkers/hell raisers". Nonetheless, I'm so happy that Ed appears to be peaking higher than he ever has live.
I was thinking how cool it would be if the VH brothers had a 5min "jam", instead of the drum solo (which would've been really cool) but...just wishful thinking on my part. You won't be disappointed - and I'm already looking online for Hollywood Bowl tickets.

Simon

Supporting Member
I still remember as a Kid when the first album came out, We were all absolutely floored, and had never heard any guitar playing since Hendrix that took the instrument to another level like He did. In some ways you'd have to say He took it almost all the way, no great revelations in playing since.
One of the greatest players ever! The whole band had a very cool Swagger to them.
If Ed had gone out young like Hendrix (Good thing He didn't) there would have been monuments built in his honor.

Dave2512

Sounds good but I don't think adding DLR to it would somehow make it worse. EVH is just crazy good.

Lost_Cause

Now I am far from an VH aficionado but that guitar playing and tone is just sick. Drop Dead Legs..... WOW!!

karmadave

Supporting Member
Van Halen was my first concert. It was right around the time VHII was released. I am not really into VH, these days, but it's nice to see Eddie looking healthy and playing better than ever...

GerryJ

Two things really struck me-
1) being sober long term has enabled him to play better than he has in 30 yrs. You can almost hear his mind at work rather than being impaired.

2) Many players as the years go by widen their styles to try other genres. Many just stay the same. A small number - like him, Holdsworth, and many classical musicians- stay in a very narrow range but their interest is in mining it deeper, not broader.

Stike

I was a huge VH fan as a teen in the 80's. I first saw them live in 1984 and it blew my 13 year old mind. I saw them late 2000's and it was really underwhelming. That clip in the OP though, damn! Ed has not sounded that good in 30 years, I'm considering going to see them this tour now.

DLR though......you'd think that a man with with enough self disipline to be that fit in his early 60s could also train his voice enough so he would not fat Elvis talk/sing the songs live?

Trending Topics