• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Van Halen should have broken up after 1984.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
After that, they became a parody of themselves. Cream had the common sense to break up after they became stale.
55 posts. Yeah, you’re not a troll. :rolleyes:

I've never understood the premise that musicians should feel obligated to quit making music because some "fans" think they should. Who are you to tell someone they should stop doing what they love just because they no longer please you?
Don’t take it seriously. Not only is it a troll, but the timing is seriously classless.

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
55 posts. Yeah, you’re not a troll. :rolleyes:

Don’t take it seriously. Not only is it a troll, but the timing is seriously classless.
Troll or not I see these type of posts all too often. Same for sports fans deciding when an athlete should quit playing the sport they love because they have reached a certain age that somehow displeases them. An older experienced athlete or musician can continue to make meaningful and powerful contributions throughout a long career.

John Quinn

After that, they became a parody of themselves. Cream had the common sense to break up after they became stale.
In a real sense Cream didn't break up - Jack and Ginger couldn't stand each other = so Eric and Ginger started Cream 2 otherwise known as Blind Faith.

Re: Van Halen - I liked songs from all eras of Van Halen - but didn't really enjoy the first Sammy Reunion nor the first DLR Re-union.

pete692

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, that sounds about right, quit making music with the vehicle you created and bears your name, leaving HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars in earnings on the table.

'cause PARODY.

YEP. I'm sure we all would've quit to avoid being called a parody, just walk away from the sold out stadiums and having records go gold and platinum for the next decade. Van Hagar may have had its detractors, me among them, but there were millions of fans who would beg to differ WITH THEIR WALLETS, and it was decent quality hard rock with earnest playing and songwriting. It's not like they were just putting out solid shite.

I would go so far as to say maybe the Roth reunion tours were a misstep (the album was fantastic), but then again, good GOD man, do you have any idea how much money they generated off of those shows? Nobody in their right mind would leave that on the table.

dazco

I've never understood the premise that musicians should feel obligated to quit making music because some "fans" think they should. Who are you to tell someone they should stop doing what they love just because they no longer please you?
:aok It IS a rather pretentious suggestion. I happen to like a lot of the hagar era stuff. Thankfully OP didn't get his way or I and the gazillion people who bought those LPs would have missed out !

Trending Topics