• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Van Halen should have broken up after 1984.

IanRubbish

It was worth it, the music was fine, still got some great Eddy Solos, and Sammy is a great dude. Anything that contributed to his success I support.

ZeyerGTR

I'm glad they continued. Sammy-era Van Halen has a lot of good stuff. These days I honestly listen to more Sammy Van Halen than DLR Van Halen. Maybe just a bit burned out on the latter.

Then again, I also like Dio-era and Tony Martin-era Black Sabbath

Monkeyboy23

In a real sense Cream didn't break up - Jack and Ginger couldn't stand each other = so Eric and Ginger started Cream 2 otherwise known as Blind Faith.
Actually, Eric and Winwood had started jamming together when Ginger heard about it and invited himself over. Nobody could work up the courage to ask him to get lost.

Guitarfool

Silver Supporting Member
I admit that i am not the biggest Van Hagar "ERA" fan, but i have put it into my rotation a little more recently and i have a little more fondness and respect for that time period, i really do

Sure they didnt rock out as hard as the early days and yes they have some more ballads, etc BUT there is some real solid song writing and Ed's guitar work was still VERY CREATIVE and off the chart creative as hell, i know i am not breaking any ground here but holy sh!t is what runs through my head when i hear him play

PS - the song they did with DLR later on was a cool tune and Ed is just Ed, just listen to his playing and solo :dude :love:

Not sure why but the video makes me a little sad

djp141

I think history has shown that they made a pretty good decision by moving forward with Sam.

I will take issue with the idea that they somehow got bigger, or more popular with Sam. Anyone who was around in 1984 knows that it was their commercial peak. They did well with Sammy, but they never got bigger than they were in '84.

Wyatt Martin

I love 90% of 5150, but 0U812 was sort of a stinker for me. I find every other track pretty cheesy sounding (subjective, I know). With For Unlawful, I'm back to 90% loving it. Balance.. kinda like oU812, grimacing with every other track. VH III.. I tried, I really did.
This sums my opinion up exactly as well.

The rest of the 90s after "Unlawful" and with the addition of the popularity of grunge I think were an tough time for Van Halen and maybe primarily for Ed. I remember he was pal'ing around some with Jerry Cantrell ( one of the firsts to get a PV 5150 from Ed) and also some with Dimebag but among the grunge guitarist community it seemed to be somewhat acceptable to be a fan of pre 1982 DLR era Van Halen (along with 1970s Kiss) but the Sammy era VH was something the grunge community stood against. In my opinion the short lived DLR reunion in 1996 almost seemed like a little peer pressure and a way to possibly re-solidify VH of old in the new musical landscape. Which is odd because if that was the case then how did Gary Cherone happen? What a mess.

For as much as Ed pioneered new ways to play the guitar I think he was also somewhat of a trend chaser when it came to what was popular at the time. He certainly donned some flannel occasionally during the 90s.

Big'Uns

A number of guys tried the flannel thing during the 90’s. Even Dave Mustaine went through a flannel phase.

motokev

Van Halen should have broken up after 1984.

Nah
When you are a BIG fan of whoever, you want the band to continue.

bluesuede

I admit that i am not the biggest Van Hagar "ERA" fan, but i have put it into my rotation a little more recently and i have a little more fondness and respect for that time period, i really do

Sure they didnt rock out as hard as the early days and yes they have some more ballads, etc BUT there is some real solid song writing and Ed's guitar work was still VERY CREATIVE and off the chart creative as hell, i know i am not breaking any ground here but holy sh!t is what runs through my head when i hear him play

PS - the song they did with DLR later on was a cool tune and Ed is just Ed, just listen to his playing and solo :dude :love:

Not sure why but the video makes me a little sad
My favorite EVH solo!

KestnerGS

Gold Supporting Member
Insert whatever ugly comment below that I would have typed but gotten kicked off the site. The man just died for one, show some respect -and he had his biggest hits with Sam, and years of happiness. No he shouldn’t have quit, I’m crushed we didn’t get more VH the last ten years. And &))&)*#{}%#£##% %}}>€#%%% off

TexasTea70

Just to play the devil's advocate here, I don't believe he is contending that they should've quit making music altogether (that would truly be dumb)-- just quit making it as the entity known as Van Halen. Post-cream, Clapton did Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes, and solo stuff, Ginger did Blind Faith with EC and more solo stuff, and Jack also did his own thing. This does not negate the fact that the VH bros owned the VH name and could do whatever the hell they wanted with it.
This, just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they're a troll.
BTW, I listened to a song off of the new AC⚡DC album, it sounds just like every other AC ⚡DC from the last 47 years.

Trending Topics