Van Halen Timeline

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by AnotherAvatar, Mar 1, 2012.

1. AnotherAvatar

AnotherAvatar Senior Member

2. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

I like this bit

Eddie Van Halen counter-attacks in the Tribune, saying the Roth-era band "sucked" with "grunting vocals" and that "12 years of smoking dope and living in his own bubble didn't improve his (Roth's) abilities as a singer." He calls Hagar "a 'B' act, but he thinks that without him we would've gone down the toilet.

3. zorak

zorak Member

Yeah, and Eddie's constant drinking didn't improve his ability to play, either. But move 15+ years down the road from that comment and he is playing as well as he's played in 20 years. So kudos 'cause the planets finally aligned in 2012.

4. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

I Agree! No doubt there has been some bad things said in the past about the revolving singers, but they seem to work around it & put out some great tunes!

5. hellbender

hellbender Member

3 things...

Van Halen would never have existed without singers, liked or disliked, whoever they may be.

Sammy Hagar has the midas touch.

People see, what they want to see.

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

So does DLR...and you're right about the seeing what they want to see.

S.
    j

7. Bussman

Bussman Member

Eddie's the one with the Midas touch. He writes the songs and he's the real cash cow in the band. Sammy could not duplicate the success he had with VH on his own or with Chickenfoot. DLR's solo career could never keep up with the VH juggernaut.

Love him or hate him, sober or smashed, Eddie was, is and always will be the gravitational center of that band.

8. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Haven't any of you guys been in bands with people who are talented but maybe they link alcohol (or drugs....or women....or fine candy from europe) too much or would rather go swimming than practice? That kind of stuff happens in every band I've ever been in.

I get the idea VH had that in spades.

9. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

That's why they named it after him, you know. :aok

10. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

From the article:

1991: In an interview with the Chicago Tribune, Eddie Van Halen sings Hagar's praises: "I think Sammy and I see things the same way because we're both musicians. Sammy's also a guitarist, not just a singer, not just a front guy" _ a pointed reference to Roth, who did not play an instrument _ "and I think that makes a big difference.

Um....except that Roth does play an instrument...two in fact. His harmonica and guitar playing had both appeared on VH albums by this point.

11. Archangelyabbo

Archangelyabbo Member

12. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

LOVE WHAT HE SAYS HERE about Sammy's lyrics.

When I got sober, I listened to some of the lyrics he wrote like 'Wham, bam, oh, Amsterdam' and '1-900-S-P-A-N-K' and I just thought, 'What were we thinking?'" He praises Cherone as "a normal guy, a guy who's in it for the music, like me, Mike and my brother. There's no room for ego in this band. It has always been a collaboration."

Ed, I love you bro. But no room for ego? :confused:

You don't become the most influential guitarist of 2 generations without a bit of an ego issue.