• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Van Moondance Chord Quandary

ibis

Hi guys,

At last night's rehearsal we jammed through Moondance. We thought we knew it and it was sounding great for a preliminary run through UNTIL we got to the chorus...

Can I just have one a' more Moondance with you, my love
Can I just make some more romance with a-you, my love

The keyboard player, who is a seasoned pro has always played Am and D7, (with the final E major).

I've always heard this as Am Dm7 (and still do). He maintains that the D7 'lifts' the chorus (major tonality)

We disagreed! Looking up scores and tabs its a mess out there. I've even seen Am Bm7 (the verse vamp) suggested for the chorus. Funnily enough, the Bm7 could imply a D major (its the relative minor of D major, and contains the hotly debated F#), so other people hear the same tonality as our keyboard player it seems.

Does anyone know for sure? Do you have the original published sheet music? Does it matter?

If we are to play Am D major, the only way that sounds acceptable to me is for the guitar part to play Am7 Am6 in 5th position, whilst he's playing Am D7.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
No sheet music, but just listen to Van's version it's obviously Dm. Sometimes we season our food incorrectly too. :) Have him listen to the piano behind the sax solo where the movement from E to F is quite obvious.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Just listening to it without an instrument in front of me it sounds like Am7 and Dm7 and the E sounds like Em7#9 (Hendrix chord). It's not a straight E major.

e???

Yeah Am and Dm, no d major or d maj 7 in moondance. Then E7 (never tried the Hendrix chord there, but it'd probably work, depends on the people you're playing with too), but it's not a straight E. And for the verse throw in a Cmaj7 for every 2nd Am if you're just going back n forth from Am to Bm , makes that song a lot more fun to play, and gives it a jazzy spice. Pretty sure that's what Van did.

rowdyyates

Silver Supporting Member
On guitar, to get the "feel", I play
Verse - Am 5th fret, Bm 7th fret, C triad 8th fret, back to Bm on the 7th.
Chorus - Dm7 5th fret, Am7 5th fret ending with E7#9.

There's actually very little guitar in the original recording.

Last edited:

Jim Fisher

Gold Supporting Member
Try playing the intro & verses with 1st position Am then up 2 frets letting the A and high E strings ring out. Then for the end of the chorus play F9/E9 or F9 to the E7(#9) to really make it interesting.

Jim

ripgtr

I just listened.
Listening to the horns and piano.

It could be Bm7b5, but I think I hear a D in the bass. the dif being the root and I think I hear the root as D. (edit - I just listened again, and pretty sure it is a D-7)

Then E - and I hear the major 3rd on the horns on the first verse. Not a #9 (which is what I always thought). Listening to the piano on the sax solo, the E is major and he raises he 5 up on beat 2 to the #5 and then down again on beat 3. The V chord on the piano sounds like a 7th to me, too.

dead of night

On guitar, to get the "feel", I play
Verse - Am 5th fret, Bm 7th fret, C triad 8th fret, back to Bm on the 7th.
Chorus - Am7 5th fret, Dm7 5th fret, ending with E7#9.

There's actually very little guitar in the original recording.
So is the E7#9 the tonic?

Suave Eddie

For years I've been playing Am -- D .....no minor. I'll have to go back and take a close listen again.

Trending Topics