Van Weelden Steel String Singer - John Mayer SSS-D Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by moidan, Oct 8, 2018.

1. moidan

moidan Member

Hello Guys,

Got very exciting news from Peter Van Weelden.

He will bring out a version of the John Mayer Steel String Singer #2 Dumble Amp.:crazyguy

He have the original transformers for about 12 units, exact the same that Dumble used for #2.
    Currently he has a working prototype. :drool

At the moment no info about price or exact building date

Mayer SSS #2:

[​IMG]

also here from minute 15

ps. I am on the list
    pps. he is also working on the last Gainlands

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  2. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

3. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Ok.
    I watched those videos, and I’m trying to figure out what the hoopla about that amp is.
    I just don’t hear anything impressive. At all.

Tony Foran, macmax77 and Baxtercat like this.
  4. moidan

moidan Member

NorCal_Val likes this.
  5. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Yeah, from here sounds about like any amp w/ a 12A_7 or two in there.
    [and that's good!]

6. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

I know Van Weelden builds top notch amps and all the clips I hear of his ODS amps sound great. I’m just wondering what the background on him building a SSS#2 clone is? Does he have first hand knowledge of the amp? Using shared info?

ufguy73 likes this.
  7. davidespinosa

Gorgeous amp ! And 10 months, that's not bad at all.

8. moidan

moidan Member

Oh yes, I think Peter has a lot of experience with Dumbles. He told me some cool stories like: Years ago, when he was in L.A. he had contact with a music shop that had at least 15 Dumble amps. He could look inside the amps and could also document these.
    There was also the Christopher Cross Dumbleland 300SL head (brown suede with the Flamingo logo), so heavy that he could barley lift that thing...:)

Why exactly #002: Peter like the circuit of the #002, the voicing and response of the amp. (He also like the way John Mayer played it). On the other hand his opinion is, that 100W amp is a more useful "package"

9. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

to be honest, I don't know about this...

if one is going to shell out for some sort of clone of what is already a pretty idiosyncratic original (how many times have we heard each Dumble is different), ive got to say I would sure be pretty skeptical/less enthused about a high priced replica if the builder was not even hands on with the original...maybe just me

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  10. moidan

moidan Member

I take the risk on me. Thank you for your hint. ;)

11. ufguy73

12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I am with you, maybe if I was a 13 year old girl I would also dig Mayer, but there are too may good players out there to choose from....

Tony Foran likes this.
  13. davidespinosa

(1) moidan just explained that Peter has been inside at least 15 Dumbles.
    (2) Could you at least be *constructively* critical ?

Suppose a builder makes a Dumble clone. As you point out, we don't even know which Dumble it's a clone of, and we don't have an A/B comparison with the actual Dumble to see if it's a sonically accurate clone.
    So it comes down to, does the amp sound good, or doesn't it ?

conrad79 likes this.
  14. ufguy73

Think i was being quite constructive, even if you dont.

Most builders WILL tell you exactly which dumbles they have direct experience with.

If all youre going to do is make decisions on whether something sounds good or not, you dont need to be swimming in high priced replica waters, right (ie part of what makes one clone vs another ‘better’ in this context is fidelity to what is being cloned).

The fact is part of the premium these well known builders get is their firsthand knowledge of the specific amps they are building.

This thread wasnt titled ‘van weelden is building a killer Dumble’ it was referencing Mayer’s Dumble(s), specifically. So, i think its fair to ask what basis does a builder have to build a clone of said amp better than anyone else that may have the schematic.

Its nothing personal against Van Weelden or the OP - i own a Twinkleland and know what hes capable of - that said, I still think its a fair set of considerations in this context.

At any rate, leave the snarkiness aside, even if you dont agree or care about completely valid questions/points that are being raised.

15. moidan

moidan Member

Intersting - in all your 3126 posts have you never mentioned that you have one

16. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Yea because Eric Clapton was wrong to invite Mayer to the Crossroads Festival and the Grateful Dead was wrong to ask Mayer to join Dead and Company. Who are all these guitar players that are better than Mayer that should be jamming with the blues legends and the dead? Honestly, bedside Derek Trucks; who’s pretty one dimensional, are there any new guitar heros under the age of 40?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  17. ufguy73

Yeah - i dont find the need to recite specifics of my collection all the time. Rest assured, though, that gentleman I purchased it from is an esteemed member right here on this forum.

The only reason i cited the Twinkleland here was to reinforce that i have a lot of respect for the particular builder.

So, your point was??

voodoosound likes this.
  18. GhostBath

GhostBath Member

Just out of curiosity can anyone point to a known recording of SSS #2 played by Mayer without the Dumblelator and Katana? Supposedly the amp is quite bright though I can't say I would know first hand.

19. ufguy73

I have not come across any. He also stated in an old interview that he uses some sort of attenuator that knocks some of the high end off - i cant remember the name (something Slim or something?).

The interview talked about how complementary the eq and tone was between 002 and his TR’s...i guess now that he has the PRS Sig, he was able to dump the Dumble and TR rig lol

Edit: actually, one of the closest things may be when he was doing the video inteview in the studio with Mike Eldred for his Fender BLK1 guitar, he was using an Oak Cliff Special (presumably by itself but wouldnt be sure).

20. dpark89

dpark89 Supporting Member

:messedup:rolleyes2:

Comanche5 and meterman like this.