• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Vanamps Reverbmate vs. Solemate

joshbaezmusic

So I'm thinking of purchasing one of these guys to use as a "set and forget" reverb pedal. What are the differences between the two? Which do you prefer? Thanks!

-j.

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
Yea, I'm interested too. I really like the idea of this pedal, thinking about getting one. I am a bit miffed at the fact that their "pedal deck", which is a great idea, is over $100...seems kinda silly for what it is, but anyway.

joshbaezmusic

Yea, I'm interested too. I really like the idea of this pedal, thinking about getting one. I am a bit miffed at the fact that their "pedal deck", which is a great idea, is over $100...seems kinda silly for what it is, but anyway.
Yeah I agree, you could definitely make your own for around 20 bucks haha.

x-ray specs

Seriously? Why? I've heard so many great things about the solemate.
I would think because the solemate is only spring reverb where the HG has a hall reverb, which I think is based on a plate reverb. Also has room verb, more variety than the solemate. Some peeps don't like spring verb. Or maybe he just thinks it sounds better. :D

joshbaezmusic

True, but that's the whole reason I'm getting the solemate- I'm using it as a spring verb for my morgan ac40deluxe.

But, what are the differences between the reverbmate and solemate??

x-ray specs

I guess here's some of the differences:

The Reverbamate is a great unit but really works only for true two channel amps, or with two amplifiers.

New in 2006, the Sole-Mate was created for people with one channel amps, or who don't wish to run two cables to their amp.

Most of the same features as the reverbamate, but a single output with as much reverb as you select with the output level knob, and an ON/OFF switch for true bypass of the reverb sound. Still uses a real reverb pan for true spring reverb sounds. Has a DWELL knob to set the length of the reverb sounds. No battery option on Sole-Mate.

silvertone

joshbaezmusic said:
Seriously? Why? I've heard so many great things about the solemate.
Well, I just thought the sound of the real spring wasn't very good. I'm used to my original blackface reverbs, and the Sole Mate didn't come close, for me, unfortunately. You know, I wanted to like it, I'd much rather use a real reverb than digital, but it didn't do it for me. I did try a couple different ones at the store and bought what I thought was the better one.
All that said, I really like the Spring setting on the Holy Grail Plus.

colinesquire

I had the solemate twice-it is a nice sounding reverb but I was looking for something deeper that has drip. The pedal has no drip at all so won't work for surf/spaghetti western style. In the end I sold both times. I now use a boss frv reverb. It has the drip but can also do the subtler sounds with dwell & tone rolled back.

colinesquire

& I agree with silvertone-it can't do the fender reverb sound. I used to have a bandmaster reverb & twin & was hoping I could get those sounds with the solemate. I'm disappointed that an actual spring pedal couldn't get those beloved sounds! I even tried swapping the tank for one with longer decay. Some people are really happy with it though.

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
bumping this as I have a chance to score a soul mate, anyone else have opinions on how close it comes to a blackface verb?
Thanks

jocfan1

I'm looking at the Sole-Mate as well... from what I gather it does a decent reproduction, but not perfect. The big thing that I keep reading from those with more experience is that the springs in a real blackface (or any true spring reverb amp, I guess) are much longer, which makes a difference. To my own ears, the big difference in the YouTube vid they did is that the Sole-Mate seems to add some top-end brightness, whereas a built-in reverb like on a blackface keeps the guitar's natural tone pretty much the same. I understand there is a mod for the Sole-Mate to fix that though....

Trending Topics