vantage 635?? damn right....

jaywalker

Having written off my Sheraton, I took ownership of a Vantage 635. It's been in the garage for years being that I was a bit embaressed to use it live.
I recently dug it out only to find that this particular one rocks!!
The output is huge, I also waxed the pickups to stop it squeeling like a pig and its a very humongous rock guitar as well as cool for jazz/r&r.

Is this a fluke or does anyone else have one that's damn good??

It has a larger than life headstock which seems to contribute to the bass a tad....

100_0490.jpg

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I had a MIJ Vantage Les Paul and it was a killer guitar. The Matsumoku built ones are fantastic.

jaywalker

No idea on the origin of this one, the label has faded somewhat.
Don't know much about vantage generaly, though I remember seeing them around in the late 80s/90s.

The tone is so thick its funny.
Here's me using it to demo some yamaha sim and 8 band delay sounds, although it sounds much better through an amp of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GWWir6g-nE

Colt

I had a cream one I lost in pawn in college...about 2 years ago. It might still be there actually...might have to go get it....

jaywalker

wouldn't mind a cream one.
gonna ebay up a few more if I can. Any idea what they're worth???

Bussman

I have a red metal flake one. It played great. It's bridge is in need of serious repair right now. I'm debating putting a Gotoh TOM on it or just machining some saddles for it out of brass. The tuners on mine are different, have they been changed on yours? I changed the pickups on mine as they were very ****** (along with the rest of the electronics).

jaywalker

I havn't done a thing to it apart from waxing the pick-ups, from what I gather it's about 15-20 years old. Can't find any info on it though.
The machineheads look like kluson L style copies, they are very stable and the bridge is fine so far. I need to tighten the controls a bit though.

My pickups sopunded better after they were waxed, it wasn't even possible to play clean at a decent volume because of the microphonic feedback. Maybe I over-waxed them a bit and they play tighter now. Dunno.

Bussman

My pickups were waxed but they were crappy. Everything was held together by wax only!!!! Wire was cheap and the bobbins are made of flimsy transparent material. I put in an old DiMarzio Super Distortion and a humbucker sized P-90 in the neck.

The bridge seems to be made of brass (heavy) but the saddles are made of cheap material. I have a broken saddle and a broken adjustment screw. Non-standard parts means I make my own or I ditch the whole bridge. I paid $100 for the thing so I don't really want to spend a lot.

The toggle switch is real cheap and the nut is plastic. Other than the tuners and colour your's looks identical to mine. I don't think these are Japanese, probably Korean models from the late 80s or 90s.

jaywalker

here's some dodgy close-ups:
100_0502.jpg

100_0504.jpg

100_0501.jpg

I was thinking of fitting a fishman piezo bridge and a roland GK3 to it.
Does anyone know if this bridge is exactly the same as a 335/Les Paul bridge in terms of fitting???

This one was made in Korea.

Bussman

Sorry. I have been looking at guitar parts websites with bridge and caliper in hand for weeks now. LOL!

DGDGBD

Silver Supporting Member
My first electric was a Vantage Avenger, a solid body with a single split HB'er. Haven't had it for a while, but I have a 25-year old recording of me playing it thru a cranked Ampeg V4. Doesn't sound bad.

rockinlespaul

My friends first electric was a solid body Vantage. Great guitar.

I had/have a Westbury Standard, another good one...

jaywalker

Given its S6 serial number I suspect its a Korean made Vantage, with S standing for Samick.

ok, thanks.
I'm not too much of a snob in terms of it's origin anymore, it plays fine and I will use it here and there without having to turn my back to the audience!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom