Variac for voltage regulation

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by dynosoar1, Jan 30, 2008.

1. dynosoar1

dynosoar1 Member

My line voltage in my house is around 124v. Is a variac a good way to run my vintage amps to hold the voltage to around 110-115v on my vintage amps..or is a line leveler (voltage regulator) better??

Any advice appreciated....

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

If you have any vintage amps worth a lot of money,use a voltage regulator.A variac is not for lowering line voltages while playing an amp.Dangerous practice to be sure.

3. TubeAmpNut

TubeAmpNut Member

Uh, not really. A variac will be fine. An AC voltage regulator (at least one you could use in your house) is nothing but a transformer with preset taps that are automatically switched by logic to adjust the output voltage based on input voltage. A variac is a constantly variable tranformer whose output voltage is adjusted by the user turning a knob. Most AC regulators regulate 120V +/- 3V which does you no good getting to 'old world' voltage of 110-115V.

I wouldn't get a 'vintage' variac, however. Also make sure you convert your plug to a 3-lead safety ground type.

BK

4. 67super

67super Member

5. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

I use a Weber "Browner" to drop my 125v wall-voltage to 115.5 for my '66 AC50. I did it mainly to keep the tube heaters at 6.3v

6. dynosoar1

dynosoar1 Member

Why is it dangerous as long as you keep it set at the desired 115V???

7. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

A Variac is perfectly safe as long as it is properly grounded and large enough to handle the load. My wall voltage is a whopping 128V. I use my Variac all the time to keep voltages under control.

8. dynosoar1

dynosoar1 Member

So running my vintage gear on the variac while playing is ok as long as I keep it set at 115V??

9. Structo

Structo Member

Are most variac's regulated?

10. TubeAmpNut

TubeAmpNut Member

Only if your hand can automatically dial the variac to compensate for a fluctuating source voltage!

BK

11. rog951

rog951 Member

FYI, Weber sells what appears to be that same Variac for a little less $$$. Not sure about the shipping charge differences between the two places though. Here's a link:

https://amptechtools.powweb.com/variac.htm

I've been waiting for the Tenma 72-110 variac to go on sale at MCM Electronics but they sure are taking their sweet time. :bkw Regular price is around $140 but it seems like they put it on sale for ~$80 pretty regularly.

12. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I use a Staco 7 amp Variac to run my vintage amps at exactly 115V. They sound better and it's easier on the tubes running the heaters at 6.3 ish instead of the 7.5 I get with wall voltage!

I've never had an issue and my amps/ears thank me!

13. Steve Dallas

Absolutely.

14. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

If you're really concerned about regulation, get a Tripp-Lite or Furman regulator, and run the variac between it and your amp.

15. Steve Dallas

A good power conditioner with a true regulator costs around $500. A Variac set to 115-120V is a decent cheap alternative.

16. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Not if you watch eBay, in the computer sections. I bought a NIB Tripp-Lite 2400W rack regulator for $175 a few years back. Stuff that says "Musical Instrument" on it seems to cost a lot more than plain ole data center stuff.

17. Structo

Structo Member

OK, so that answers my question.
    Say if you set your variac to 110v on an older amp and your house current fluctuates by a few volts either way then it really isn't doing you any good to be dialing down the voltage.
    Too bad they don't sell power strips that have regulated 110v output.
    I know about conditioners such as Furman but they are spendy.
    So I just gave away an $64,000 idea!

The Vintage Voltage Power Strip!

18. Steve Dallas

If you say so. I haven't seen anything audio grade for that price. But my Variac was $40 new from Harbor Freight.

19. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Call the power company and complain the voltage is too high. They can drop it down. I don't know about where you live, but where I do the power company (Hydro) is responsible for damage caused by faults. Overvoltage is a fault of theirs.

20. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

I was able to get the Tenma 72-110 at MCM on sale for $69 a couple of years ago. The regular price went up 10 or 15 bucks since then.