variac vs regulator

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Shark Diver, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

Read an article about variacs being used to keep line voltafe stable thus ensuring a consistent amp tone venue to venue. Wouldn't a furman regulator do the same thing. The only difference I can tell is that a variac is adjustible. Am I missing something?

2. Smokin Tone

Smokin Tone Member

I never hear anyone mention it but I use a APC battery backup made for a computer. Having the battery it offers better surge supression and power conditioning. Also in the event that the power goes out you dont instantly shut down. Anybody else try this?

3. Smokin Tone

Smokin Tone Member

Thanks Old Tele Man. Yeah, if you have a Radio Shack nearby they sometimes clear them out really cheap.

4. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

Thanks, for the link. I read it, but now I am more confused. From what that said a variac uses a ratio? So, if voltage changes its output changes? Then what good is it? The article in Musician's Hotline was suggesting that a variac keeps the voltage constant and it was user adjustable, so you could run your amp on a voltage of your choice. This was for keeping your amp tone consistent. How would it do that if it changed with voltage irregularities? I'm missing something.

5. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

Thanks!

6. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

ok, last question. Would running a variac after a regulator work well if you wanted to keep the voltage to the amp at 110?