• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Variax > HD500 > Kemper = ?? Your thoughts

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
Last week I bought a Variax JTV-69S on the MF SDOTD and have been greatly enjoying it, the tones are much better than I expected. It occurred to me that I could use a partial "dream rig" by using a HD500 to provide a VDI interface and Variax patch switching, for perhaps a few effects (no amp or speaker modeling), and as a midi footswitch for my Kemper as the HD500 has good midi programming capabilities. But I have no idea if using the HD500 as basically a VDI/analog converter will cause any significant tonal or latency issues. There would not be an additional A/D-D/A conversion between the Variax and the HD500 due to the VDI interface being digital.

I used a HD500 for a few years until it was replaced by the Kemper, and I have no desire whatsoever to go back to HD modeling. So I know my way around a HD500.

I don't have any problems buying a used HD500, they are going for under $200 and is probably cheaper than say a FCB1010 footswitch for the Kemper, along with the remote power supply box Line 6 sells. And I have performed service work on the HD500 such as replacing footswitches, so reliability and maintenance aren't issues.

Thoughts or comments?

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
That would be a killer rig that could make any sound you can probably imagine.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
And no, you're not going to have a latency problem there I don't think. And the VDI interface didn't change the tone when I had one.

jdalf

My first thought, Lucky Dawg! It should pretty well lay waste all other rigs before it.

Trending Topics