Variax > HD500 > Kemper = ?? Your thoughts

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
Last week I bought a Variax JTV-69S on the MF SDOTD and have been greatly enjoying it, the tones are much better than I expected. It occurred to me that I could use a partial "dream rig" by using a HD500 to provide a VDI interface and Variax patch switching, for perhaps a few effects (no amp or speaker modeling), and as a midi footswitch for my Kemper as the HD500 has good midi programming capabilities. But I have no idea if using the HD500 as basically a VDI/analog converter will cause any significant tonal or latency issues. There would not be an additional A/D-D/A conversion between the Variax and the HD500 due to the VDI interface being digital.

I used a HD500 for a few years until it was replaced by the Kemper, and I have no desire whatsoever to go back to HD modeling. So I know my way around a HD500.

I don't have any problems buying a used HD500, they are going for under $200 and is probably cheaper than say a FCB1010 footswitch for the Kemper, along with the remote power supply box Line 6 sells. And I have performed service work on the HD500 such as replacing footswitches, so reliability and maintenance aren't issues.

Thoughts or comments?

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
That would be a killer rig that could make any sound you can probably imagine.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
And no, you're not going to have a latency problem there I don't think. And the VDI interface didn't change the tone when I had one.

jdalf

My first thought, Lucky Dawg! It should pretty well lay waste all other rigs before it.

Trending Topics