Variax should be here Wednesday

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by p.snail, Feb 27, 2012.

1. p.snail

p.snail Member

So last Friday I went to GC with an online coupon for $200 off over 999. So I have a Candy Apple Red JTV69 coming on Wednesday. :rockin

I bought this thing purely reputation. They didn't have any for me to try so to hell with it. If I hate it, I'll take it back, but I think its going to be cool.

Now I have to buy a POD HD500 and a DT-50...:bonk

2. Fred132

Fred132 Member

I just got a TSB JTV-59. It is the coolest piece of gear I've gotten in years.

You're in for some great fun.

3. rcl

rcl Member

I got the 59 yesterday. Could use a little love out of the gate. Gonna take it for a plek today. First-it was almost unplayable since the next was way over tight. GC didnt have a "tech" or anyone else that could manage an allen wrench...so I had to take it on faith. I had played the 89 a few weeks back but wanted the 59 neck joint/lp shape.
    Got it home and thought I'd tweak the neck, change the strings, lube the board-and found that all the tuners were loose. Two of them had stripped screws on the backside, but all were loose. The top nuts were also loose.
    Then, since I had it naked, I dropped in some sheps. The original pups werent bad, but I am a sheptone fan and had a set sitting on the bench. Not for anyone wondering-they wire the pups into the 3 way compartment instead of the usual gibby method of running into the main area. Since they don't use the splitting or anything, that makes some sense. A LOT of extra stuff around that switch though, so I hope it holds up.
    Fit and fin-not bad. Actually probably better than I was imagining. I'll get a better picture of the construction after the plek machine measures everything out. Even after tweaking the neck, it can use some work.
    For the money-a really nice mid range guitar-before you throw all the electronics into the mix. Loving that. Spent some time messing with the workbench. Really liking the acoustic 6/12 sounds. Tuning are also a lot of time-saving fun.

4. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

How does the JTV compare to the Lifeson Axcess? I have a JTV 59, and often wonder about the Lifeson.

Thanks...

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

My 59 (I am an endorsee, so take that with a grain of salt) arrived totally ready to go. I will mention a couple things. Action was a tad too low for me, but that was an easy adjustment. I think the Magnetic pickups are GREAT, so I left them. I like mine really low, so I lowered them quite a bit, but once I got them there, I was very pleased with their sound.

Fire up the workbench software and adjust some of the levels. The magnetics seem a lot hotter than the built-in levels, but you can change the level output (to some extent) of the models in the software on a model-by-model basis. Do this. I like it where my magnetics are always a little stronger than my models, because then I have a one-button boost at all pickup positions, basically.

Fretwork on mine was amazing, the neck is nice and big and comfy. My neck was straight and true and hasn't moved so far.

The tone of the mags is a little bit between solid and chambered, probably due to all the wood they have to carve out to put the stuff in. But unplugged, the difference between the 59 and my Heritage H150 (les paul) is substantial. Plugged in, less, so. The magnetics are a little more "agressive" than the Seth Lovers in my Heritage, but again I like my action a little high and my pickups a little low, so that tamed them for my purposes.

I notice less of the "palm muting" adjustment issue than many do, but you will have to adjust how you palm mute (like you might on any guitar).

Playing a LP and hearing a strat or rick 12-string or acoustic is weird in a cool kinda way.

Have fun!

6. Sammo

Sammo Member

I have JTV69 and models were much louder than mags. For global level change you can adjust string balances (from 1 to 0.5, IIRC) with workbench. It works for every model.

7. p.snail

p.snail Member

So it came early. Pulled it out of the box quick setup and Im rockin. So far so good. Waiting on the battery to charge so i can mess with the models. Mags are decent though.

8. rcl

rcl Member

I love the lifeson. That said, I changed it from default. To be fair-I change every guitar I get. It's part of the fun for me.

As stock, the lifeson peizo is IN the circuit unless you pull up on the pot. Since I use is sparingly-that just looks dumb and I am more abt to knock it down by accident than not. I also didnt like the tone location(neck tone location by default) because I rarely use neck tone-I always use the bridge tone-which by default is the ghost volume. Ahhhh, so you can see my frustration. 30+ years of playing les pauls, I don't think, I just do-my hand could be cut off and would know where it wanted to go to adjust volume or tone.

So as it sit's on my #1-bridge volume and tone are where they always are. Neck volume is where it normally is. I put a small 3 way(like the older slash sig SLXXX models) for peizo-both-mag. Then the neck tone is now the ghost volume. If you pull the ghost volume up, it moves the tone control to the mag neck, for those few songs that I need a really bassy neck tone. So, normal operation-my brain can function, or doesnt even have to I guess.

Back to the thread context-I dropped of the 59 for a plek yesterday. Should have it back in a couple of days. Still blown away that GC puts guitars on the shelf that can't be played, but that's GC. I really like the upper register access on the 59. It's like the axcess LP, but the body is full thickness. Even swapping the pups to sheps, I prefer either lifeson's tone, but I didnt get it for that. I got it so I can play dropD or 12 string acoustic and bounce to a les paul tone easily. It's also VERY handy for practicing tunes when you get to one tuned down a half step.

My next project is to use the capo thing. I want to capo the D string on the second fret for a certain tune. But just the one string. Again, a simple push down on a button and I can go from a wierd tuned 12 string to a les paul. Very functional.

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yup, I love the neck heel on the 59 and 69. I felt that the neck was a little beefier on the 59 than the 69 (which I liked). It also feels like the upper fret access is easier on the 69.

10. rcl

rcl Member

Heard back from the shop, plek is done. The frets were all over the place, high or low in no real pattern. As is typical with some overseas axes, he had to glue the frets first. Otherwise, the plek machine will shake, rattle and roll them out. I had a yamaha weddington done once. Dang frets were actually dropping to the floor like dead flies.

I agree with the 59 neck. Chunky, in a good way. Really liking that. Pick it up again tomorrow just in time for the weekend.

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

That's weird. My 59 (Korean) arrived with frets almost as perfect as my Andersons. Seriously...

12. echos

echos Member

You got yours at GC for 999?

13. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I think he said he had a coupon for $200 off any purchase over $999.

14. p.snail

p.snail Member

No I got it for 1199.99. The coupon was 200 off purchases over 999.

15. p.snail

p.snail Member

So far I'm really digging this guitar. Now I want a POD HD to go with it..LOL, then maybe a DT....... I'm pushing it.

16. gurumonkey

gurumonkey Member

plek - hmmm. that sounds exactly what i need to have done to my guitar. did it work? does it play better now? how do i go about finding someone who has a plek and can do it well?