Various Keeley effects

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Jayson Chance, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

2. Tyrone Shuz

Tyrone Shuz Member

Sounds great, Jayson! Love the Tele clips the best!

3. scottl

scottl Member

All great, but I loved the TR2 clip! Nice job!

So how would you compare the RE20 to an SM57? EV is sending me an RE20 to make clips of their new EVM12L. They told me it will become my go to mic. I am excited.

4. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Hey, Scott-
    I'd describe the RE20, based on my first impressions of using it for these clips, as a "bigger, fatter" SM57. I've often heard it being described as a mic that has similar applications as a 57- Instruments, speech, broadcasting, etc.

When I went back and listened to those clips, I'm thinking I maybe should have experimented a bit with placement. I pretty much set it up like a 57, "wired & fired' instead of trying to get it all perfect. It was placed betwen the dust cap and edge, straight on, about 2 inches from the grill.

My buddy that I borrowed it from is a pro audio guy here in Nashville. He and I used to work together with (country artists) Ty Herndon, and then with Gretchen Wilson.

He would often mic my cabs live with an RE20 on one speaker, and then (believe it or not) a Beta 52 kick drum mic. He likes dark, apparently...LOL But he said the combination would give this big, fat, wide open spread in the house.

I talked to him a couple of days ago, and he suggested moving the RE20 back some so that it could breathe. Instead of an inch or 2 off the grill (like a 57), he suggested moving it back about 1/2 the length of the mic. Said it might give it a little more "open" sound and not quite as stuffy- which is exactly how I thought those clips turned out...A bit "stuffy."

I'll probably do some more with some of those same pieces of gear, and then compare/contrast to see what's the best representation of the stuff.

Thanks for the kind words-

JC

5. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

If you do, would you mind posting them? I'd love to harvest your favorites for the Keeley CD. Thanks for what you've done. They're a glowing addition, no ifs ands or buts! Awesome work.