Variplex Vs Others

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sharpdressed, May 19, 2008.

1. sharpdressed

sharpdressed Member

Has anyone here compared the Variplex to some power scaled amps like Suhr Badger, Reeves Custom Lead or Soultone 45?
    I'm interested in the "low volume" performance.
    I've heard the clips and they are great but I think those were taken at rehersal volumes. I need an amp to track and play without bother the neighbours and I'd prefer not to use an attenuator.

2. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

It's still a loud amp, unless you want to kill the tone. Yes you can lower it all the way to 1/2 watt or something, but Roy says it's not what the amp is best at.

He said it's sounds and feels right from 15-50 watts, but that 15 watts is pretty damn loud still.

I'm interested though and have been for a while, I like Roy and Dave and their design and ears are very cool- nice guys who know their stuff.

JD

3. sharpdressed

sharpdressed Member

So you think the power scaled rivals can do better in that department?

4. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Power scaling, master volumes are going to lower the volume better to the levels that you're talking about.

I'm thinking the Variplex is ideal for a guy who likes his plexi tone but wants it about @ 25 watts instead of 50-100, as a dimed 50 watter is pretty Fing loud last I checked. Roy said you can lower the volume, but that the amp really starts to do it's thing around 15-30 watt area, and that's NOT bedroom levels at all.

Best

J

5. sharpdressed

sharpdressed Member

Anyone has info on the Soultone vs the others mentioned?

6. mmorse

mmorse Member

You might want to check this thread:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=395186

For very low volume OD tones, all you need is a watt or two. Even 5 tube watts is quite loud if you are slamming the amp for your OD. I've messed around with low volume tone for some time and I've found tube amps don't sound all that good throttled way back to bedroom levels. At least no where near what they spund like driven hard. A good pedal through a low volume amp set to clean (even a SS amp) works best. The right Speaker/cab also goes along way to achieve good extremely low volume tone.