??? Varitone from Big-D guitars???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Denny, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Denny

Denny Member

Has anyone used one of these? What guitar did you put it in? Has anyone put it in a 335-type? Is it worth the bucks? How does it sound?
    http://www.bigdguitars.com

D.

2. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I tried one in a filtertron Koll ...I found it to be useless ....seems all the sounds were choking off part of the sound instead of highlighting a new timbre . I`ve never really used a Gibson one so I can`t compare it to the original . it does no harm since there`s a true bypass position ,,,but i wouldn`t go out of my way to put it into a guitar .

3. Denny

Denny Member

makes sense to me - anyone else???

4. Denny

Denny Member

Oh yea this is helping - I'm not going to bother. Thanks everyone

5. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

That's because the gibson circuit really doesn't have a bypass position. Even in position 1 (the "most normal" position), the LR network is still in the circuit.

I yanked the varitone circuit out of my 345 the day I got it & never looked back. The **ONLY** reason I could see for putting it back in would be for "vintage resale value".

But to add one to a guitar? I sure wouldn't....

6. Denny

Denny Member

Makes sense to me -

7. mbetter

mbetter Member

I'm curious as to whether the bypass position in Big-D's version is different/superior to the one in the Gibson version.

I played a CS Will Ray Mojo Tele that had some kind of Varitone circuit. I loved it and I plan on putting one in the replica I'm building.

8. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I checked it out in bypass vs. out of the circuit and I heard no difference ...I`m usually the guy who hears slight changes more than some of my techs ... I `d pronounce the Big D as really a true bypass in pos 1 .

unfortunately ...the bypass pos was all I used !
    I suppose in the studio if your going for something odd and can make up the gain lost ... go for it .
    on stage ... it was never a plus

9. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

The Big D should be TB... since its a switch wired to do so... but I'm no tech.

I actually found it useful. The 1st 3 positions were the more useful ones because those positions represented more subtle freq cuts in various ranges. So I'd have the slightly rounded off treble tone, more rounded off treble tone and a honky middy tone.

I understand the passive circuitry only cuts btw... does not boost. Thus a perceived mid-"boost" is actually a cut in some other freqs to bring out the mids. And a mid CUT would result in drastic volume drop.

That said... playing on gain made it less of an issue.

I wouldn't mind installing a 3 position varitone with an external bypass switch. I think a very useful addition would be a blend knob that allows you to control the amount of cut from the freq selected by the varitone.

Oh, about Big D's varitone? He uses some ceremic caps right? I had the oppurtunity to use several different varitones - the bigD (ceremic caps), one with those cheap green caps you find in stock Ibanez guitars and one with big orange drop caps. The BigD actually had a subtle "reverb" going on. I dunno what to make of it. Like the tone (when the varitone is kicked in) had some air to it or something. Cool difference.

10. Denny

Denny Member