Varitone on 335

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by g335, Apr 12, 2008.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

I am debating on if I should put a varitone on my Gibson 335. Would anyone ever take a chance of modding their Gibson this way?

Help

Please

2. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

One word: NO

The guys on the Les Paul Forum have endless threads on the easiest way to remove these.

Bob

3. Kriskov

Kriskov Silver Supporting Member

I think the idea is much more interesting than the reality. I put one on an epiphone and it was fun to doink around with for a couple of hours, then came live play. The tones you get aren't really interesting in the real world and you wind up playing the guitar like... a 335.

4. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

the best thing about a Varitone on an ES is how cool the switch looks... really.

I leave em if they're already there, but I would never intentionally add one.

/rick

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Whats the knock on varitones? I ask sincerly. I started a seperate thread but it's sinking like a rock.

6. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

Most people say they drag out some of the highs and lows and a pinch of gain even in the "out" position. It's basically less and less bass from there.

Lots of guys take them out of the circuit and rewire the 345 as a 335 and report that the guitar sounds better, more vibrant, "like a film was peeled off the sound."

Bob

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

On a 335, they still have the regular tone controls yes? Is it practical to install a varitone and bypass the tone pots?

8. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

If you want a varitone get an ES345 or 355 or a BB King. I had a 64 ES345 years ago and the varitone unlike a PRS switching tap. All the VT is basically is a not so great coil tap and adds alot of weight and many of the sounds are thin (not strat like) compared to full humbuckers. You'd kill the value on your 335 if you make that mod and most likely be dissapointed.

9. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have an ES333 the economy version of the 335. I am putting in a varitone. I am mounting it in the f hole with a plate behind it. I will run it that way for a month or so before I drill the hole for it in the guitar.

I like varitone swithes. I have one in a Hamer guitar I own.

10. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

You answered something I had wondered for years.

11. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

12. SGNick

SGNick Member

2 words...

King

and

Freddie.

Though not in that order... Varitone user right there, and not just for looks. From that biting tone to the smooth mix that I can't quite put my finger on that sounds.... just great!

13. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Varitone is extremely cool.I have it on an ES345TDSV.But as it has been stated,you end up using it like a 335 most,but not all the time.