Varitone Positions And What They Do...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jumpnblues, Feb 15, 2009.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

...What does each position of a Gibson Varitone exactly do? In phase, out of phase, series parallel, coil tap, etc., etc.? Can someone explain the Varitone? Thank you.

Tom

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

3. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

4. nmontz

nmontz Member

There are some good threads over on the lpf right now about 345's in the "other gibsons" section.....the pluses, minuses and nuances of those guitars. The stereo 2 amp setup is kind of a bummer for me.....I played on one 345 where I could balance the cord halfway out and get both pups. The other two 345's this didn't work for me. The one guy didn't have a y cord for it so we ran it to 2 amps. I usually pretty much used them in the most wide open position as possible although the out of phase spot was nice too. Some of them were down right funky. Those Freddie King "the beat" clips with his long guard 345 sound just killer and totally give me es-345 gas. I remember seeing Rusty Zinn with a beautiful sunburst 345 backing James Harman.

5. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Hey Noel,

Yeah, I have to admit to always having GAS for an ES-345/355 or even a B.B. King Lucille model. I could have picked up one of the latter for about $1000. brand new when Richardson Music Center closed about 6-7 years ago. I'd still love to have any one of the three but just don't have the coin right now. I think I need a '54 LP Goldtop first anyway. So many toys, so little money...

Tom

6. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I had a 64 ES345 years back and the stereo and varitone was a pain. I always kept it on full humbucking the other sounds were thin and had to use a switchcraft Y stereo cord and used another connector and converted it back to mono. I like the Rickenbacker idea better where you had your choice of stereo or mono inputs.

7. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I remember reading that the varitone circuit, even when switched to the bypass position was tone sucker.