Velcro Frustration

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by boldaslove1977, Jan 23, 2008.

1. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

So i just peeled off the stock velcro from one row of my pedaltrain. Took the velcro off the back of my box of rock. Cut my hand in the process. Ouch.

I applied the home depot industrial strength velcro to the pedal and to a small part of the board. It barely holds the box of rock... which means my other pedals would be even worse. 20 bucks down the drain... it's no better than the stock stuff.

Now my board is in pieces and I feel stuck. Actually, I feel UNstuck. What are my other options? There's a DL4 on the board... so I need the strongest stuff I can get.

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

I use Velcro® Industrial Strength and have no problems. In fact, I have to use two hands to get my pedals off. The fuzzy part though is not used, my PedaPad AXS is covered in Velcro's dream mate.

3. boldaslove1977

the box says... heavy duty adhesive VELCRO brand fasteners.. INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH.

the guy at home depot said it's the strongest stuff they had. is it possible this isn't the actual velcro brand?

4. puddinstone

puddinstone Supporting Member

The industrial strength stuff works too well in my option. In my experience the adhesive isn't stronger then the velcro. This means when you pull the pedal off, it pulls the bottom piece off too.

EDIT: As a solution for the problem mentioned above, I use more of the bottom piece then what is on the pedal.

I've never had the problem of the velcro part not sticking unless there are pedal feet or rubber that doesn't allow the velcro to fully contact and hook the other side.

5. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I have more problems with the velcro (or generic brand hook & loop material) adhesion being stronger than the adhesive backing. I've even superglued velcro material to the underside of a few of my Boss pedals.

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

Do you see the word Velcro on it with the ® mark on the name? It's like Q-tips®, if it's not a Q-tip, then it's a cotton swab. If it's not Velcro®, then it's hook & latch.

As far as the Velcro being stronger than it's own adhesive, I understand what others are saying but I have not had that issue with mine. Now, I must say that I've seen some people apply a thin strip to their pedal. I use the wide stuff and it will basically cover a MXR size pedal almost completely with one strip. This is how I do mine, one big piece. It's like 2 or 2.5 inches wide. Not that it matters, but it's also white. Next time I pick up a box I'll snap a picture of it. In fact, let me see if Google does we right...

Well, this looks like it. I have bought this size for work before but I don't buy the 15ft rolls for personal so it's technically different. The box I get is narrow but shares the same design concept in the packaging.

[​IMG]

You will notice it also says it has "Heavy-Duty adhesive"

7. boldaslove1977

that's the same box i got... doesn't seem to be working any better than the stock pedaltrain velcro. soft stuff on the board, rough stuff on the pedals. why am i having so much trouble with this? i don't get it...

8. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I think Pedaltrain comes with industrial strength velcro. If it's not working try giving the pedal a little "wiggle" or "twist" when you put it on the board. It should lock it in place even better. FWIW, I'm using the same velcro on a pedaltrain for a Chigago Iron Parachute Wah with zero problems... that's a big, heavy freaking pedal.

9. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I'm using the 2"x 4ft Industrial strength. I use the stiff side(hook?) on my pedals, to carpet I glued with contact cement to my pedal board. I cut little strips cause it's so strong it takes 2 hands alright. On my Bad Monkey, it didn't adhere very well, so I smeared a thin coat of super glue on it and it ain't never comin off! But all other pedals it sticks really well. I do use the soft side(loop?) on my riser blocks, which have a laminate surface(simulated wood grain like book shelf boards) that accepts the adhesive really well.

10. Mincer

Mincer Member

Here in Florida the humidity takes the adhesive right off. Put the gear in the trunk in the summertime, and the heat just dissolves the glue. You'd think some sort of magnetic system would have been invented for pedals by now.

11. neil99

neil99 Member

I have the same stuff and it works fantastic on my PT-2. Is the velcro not sticking to the pedals and or board or is the hook and loop not sticking together to hold the pedal to the board?

I have found that it takes a bit of time, like a few minutes and a bit of pressure for the backside (sticky side) to "cure" and have a full strength hold. What works for me is after you put the velcro on the pedal, place it where you want it on the board and put a fair amount of pressure on the pedal and give it a bit of a twist while doing so. If I just lay the velcro on the pedal without pressure and place it on the board, it will come off fairly easily.

I can actually pick up my entire pedalboard that weighs about 30 pounds just by lifting it with one pedal that has been there for awhile and has seated correctly.

12. boldaslove1977

the problem is the hook and loops not sticking together well... even after using a lot of pressure and letting it settle for a few minutes. maybe i just need to let it settle longer?

with only the box of rock on the board... i tried to pick up the board by the pedal, and the board fell.

13. neil99

neil99 Member

Thats strange, only suggestion I have, assuming you haven't, is put the pedal down and kind of work it in by twisting it around a bit while putting pressure. I have the opposite problem, I nearly gave myself a hernea the other day trying to get one of that had been there awhile.

Good luck

14. Mincer

Mincer Member

For me, it is the glue on the velcro- no matter if it is the industrial strength or the super lock- the hooks and loops hold fine. The glue just doesn't like to stick to rubber on the bottom of pedals. I could rip the rubber off the bottom, but its pretty well glued on. Maybe the velcro glue doesn't do well in high humidity areas?

15. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Maybe some type of Industrial Strength double sided tape would work. I have seen some types that have incredible strength and holding power and the glue is much less "gooey" than velcro or dual lock.

16. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

if it's not sticking to the rubber well.... then it will definitely loosen up the glue come summertime. If you don't want to remove the rubber from the bottom of the pedal, try the bicycle chain link trick. Thread the bottom plate screw through one end of the link and screw the other end of the link down to the board...... or down to a block of wood and then velcro the wood to your board.

If the description above doesn't make sense, search on here for bicycle chain link and you'll find some more info.

17. pgissi

pgissi Member

I think this is unrealistic, your asking the velcro using only the footprint of a small pedal to hold too much weight. It should just be require to hold itself with the board at least slightly over the vertical.

I used the Home Depot bought "Velcro" brand stuff recently and have had no problems with it and my pedalboard being made of wood and painted no less.

My heaviest pedal is the Digitech Jimi Modeller, weighs a ton and its stuck on there real good since I recently gigged with the board and carried to and fro, Jimi did not budge.

1) Make sure the surfaces you are applying it to are clean, use alchohol to wipe these surfaces clean before you apply it and do not use solvents, they may leave behind some goo. If you find it does not do as well on rubber, find something that does like an industrial strength thin tape to cover the rubber first then apply the velcro to that

2) make sure you use enough, overdo it if you can, more surface area of velcro = more strength. For the Jimi pedal, it runs the length of the pedal itself

3) when putting the pedal back into position, stand on it if you can, it needs alot of pressure to make the bond

It is a bear to remove the pedals once on there good but thats what you want. It is not as effective in high arizon style heat (the glue backing can fail) and for that, if you can add some strategically placed wood screws if a wooden pedal board or small bolt/nut/washer if plastic. The velcro strip is strong and acts like a powerfull band when fastened down

18. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

19. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

In my findings, I've found the white velcro holds better than the black for some reason.
    I've probably used 100 yards or more of velcro, on a few different pedalboards.
    I'm being serious here. Try the white. :)

20. enditol

enditol Member

If you want crazy holding get Dual Lock, you need a screw driver to get that **** off. I thought it holds too well and velcro works fine for me...