Velcro-less Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Crunchy, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Crunchy

Crunchy Member

I want to construct a new pedalboard, but I don't want to have to put those sticky velcro strips on my pedals and get them all sticky if I ever want to take the strips off. Is there an alternative to a velcro-based pedalboard out there?

Thanks

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Ive been wondering the same thing for forever now, but, it seems the only answer I keep getting/seeing is bike chain links...There has to be some other way to do it!

3. enditol

enditol Member

Tie wraps / zip ties and holders would work fine. Or any straps of some kind really, that's what I used for the heavier pedals on my old board.

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I use the bicycle chain links method, where you attach the links to the bolts on the bottom of the pedals and then bolt them down to your board. It really holds them tight, you don't feel any pedal slide or wiggle when you stomp it.

Usually only two links per pedal is needed, but I like to use all four for a wah. You can see them in this picture of my smaller board:

[​IMG]

I bought the chain and a link remover from Bike Nashbar last year.

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I've found that my local Ace Hardware stocks loose links in the "Misc/Special" hardware section.

6. dosmun

dosmun Member

The Chain links are good. If you have a board with a top on it, put a thick enough piece of foam in the lid and it will hold the pedals in place when transporting.

7. Den

Den Member

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

I mostly used screws from the back side to mount these pedals. For several that didn't have bottom plate mounting screws, I used this approach:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this case, I also used a small piece of tolex covered plywood to set the pedal height higher to match adjacent pedals. Here's another pic that shows this finished.

[​IMG]

Hope this makes sense. I personally don't like the look of the bicycle chain approach ... this is cleaner and really not much more difficult.

8. jeak

jeak Member

1. Remove the back plates from your pedals.
    2. Arrange the plates on the board the way you want the pedals mounted.
    3. On the board surface, mark where two of the four holes on each plate are. I mark the upper left and the lower right holes.
    4. Drill holes through board at each marking.
    5. Go to the hardware store and get screws that will go up through the bottom of the board, through the existing holes in the pedals' bottom plates, and into the pedals where the original plate screws were.

Before you mount a pedal, replace its back plate using only the two opposite holes that you did not drill holes in the board for.

What you are doing for each pedal is borrowing two of its existing plate holes for longer screws that come up through the board.

This makes rearranging your board much more of a hassle if you decide to do it on a whim. But if your pedal lineup is pretty stable, this is a great way to mount things without altering the pedals.

9. Den

Den Member

Good explanation, jeak ... that's how I did it, except I used all four screws to mount the pedal. I just ran the longer screws from behind through the back plates. I'm sure using just the two holes would work perfectly as well.

I seldom move pedals around, so this works well for me. If you do move a few pedals, you can seal the small screw holes (if they're not covered by the new pedals) with some silicone which makes it almost impossible to notice them.

10. POD Buster

POD Buster Member

Here's a pic of my board using tie wraps. not as clean as methods described above but changing out pedals is pretty easy. I never use velcro.
    [​IMG]

11. axelicker

axelicker Member

Too much work for me! For metal shelf mounted pedals I use 3M Dual-Lock which holds the pedals for dear life, no worries. It can leave some residue when removed, but it's easy to clean that just by taking a fresh piece of the stuff and using its sticky side to rub off the residue.
    For pedals on a wood board I do the chain link thing. My Automagic wah actually comes with such mounting tabs riveted on.

12. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I have never had any problems taking velcro off of pedals. It usually comes off clean and if a corner as a little sticky some alcohol takes to glue off very easile. The bike chain seems viable with something like a puma board though.

13. sandman

sandman Member

hey man, I'm about to go 3M DL route.I'm just gonna pick up a piece of wood and put some velcro over. Since my setup is still growing and I need different pedals for different gigs will I get into trouble rearranging stuff? Will the velcro hold up to this?

edit:sorry for going off topic

14. axelicker

axelicker Member

Sandman- You buy DL it in 1" or so wide tape. You wouldn't want to cover your board with the stuff because believe me you'd have to pry the pedals off with a crowbar. It doesn't wear out like velcro does, it really doesn't wear out at all. It sticks ok to smooth painted wood, but what can easily happen is when you pull a pedal off the board it'll pull the lower piece of tape too and some wood splinters with it. Better to go with those black laminate jobs with the aluminum edge trim, DL works great on that stuff. There are a couple of guys on ebay that sell them as fast as they can make them and prices are reasonable.

15. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Ive been thinking about pulling velcro off my pedaltrain and using dual lock there. I would probably only put it where it really needed to be though. Is it easy to remove from a pedaltrain frame or something like toat or does it break apart?

16. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

I use a rubber-coated metal/wire shelf as the base, and then mini bungee chords to hold pedals down (makes changes in the line-up easy), and then a Godlyke PA9 for power.[​IMG]

17. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Now that's ghetto-I love it!

18. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I use pegboard and zip ties. The pedals are secure enough to never move, and can be easily moved around. 14" zipties cost a few pennies each.

For a lighter board, a different material could be chosen and drilled with mounting holes.

19. Crunchy

Crunchy Member

Side question:
    Anybody know of a good way to remove the sticky residue from velcro tape after you peel it off?:)

20. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

WD 40