• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Velcro letting me down

vintage66

Velcro brand hook and loop-it’s not the hook and loop itself, it’s the adhesive on the back. I’m fairly short order it gives up and falls off the pedals, sometimes when using a scraper to remove the pedal, sometimes the pedal just falls off because the adhesive got in-sticky. What’s better or did I get a defective box of this stuff?

vintage66

I’ve always used 2-part epoxy to bold the Velcro onto the pedals.
Please don’t tell me JB Weld, lol. What are you using and does it peel paint when removing? Actually might be a good idea when applying to rubber skid pads.

brs928

Silver Supporting Member
I always use the heavy duty Velcro, and I only run into problems when sticking it to rubber. Otherwise, it is very secure. I find myself using tiny pieces now because it holds so well.

JParry335

Look for Dual Lock Velcro. But it might take the paint off if you go to sell the pedal later.
I’ve been using 3M Dual Loc for a long time now. It is not velcro. Similar concept but more of interlocking mushroom heads. Quite strong and the adhesive on the back is better than any of the velcro. Use less, gain more. Great stuff.

vintage66

Does Dual Lock work on standard pedalboard ‘carpet’? If not, I don’t want to strip off the loop side of my NYC pedalboard, the Velcro itself sticks fine, just not the sticky backing. It works for a while then-surprise! The bottom of your pedal has no loop side, it’s stuck to the board.

Does Dual Lock work on standard pedalboard ‘carpet’? If not, I don’t want to strip off the loop side of my NYC pedalboard, the Velcro itself sticks fine, just not the sticky backing. It works for a while then-surprise! The bottom of your pedal has no loop side, it’s stuck to the board.
It also works on pedalboard carpet. Just a little tip: don't put too much dual lock on your pedal.

-=solewheelin

I have found that the best solution is:
remove the back panel,
cut the velcro an inch wider than the width(or length) of the pedal,
and when adhering it, fold it under effectively clamping the velcro on each side of the pedal.
This works really well and i mostly use the cheap dollar store velcro on my pedals.

ClinchFX

1. Use commercial grade Velcro that has high temperature, high bond adhesive.
2. Clean the surface where you are applying Velcro with an Isopropyl Alcohol solvent.
3. Allow the alcohol to evaporate.
4. Use a roller to apply pressure to the Velcro against the surface, or use something heavy to apply pressure for a number of hours.
5. Remember that most adhesives don't develop full strength for at least 12 hours after application.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Please don’t tell me JB Weld, lol. What are you using and does it peel paint when removing? Actually might be a good idea when applying to rubber skid pads.
I use whatever random brand they have at the local store. I’ve never tried removing it - I assume it can’t be removed.

Gevalt

TIP: Masking tape on the pedal's arse holds velcro adhesive, & easy to remove. I even overlap the tape under the bolted-down edge and use black.

It also works on pedalboard carpet. Just a little tip: don't put too much dual lock on your pedal.
Great to know! Thank you. I love the look of the soft black Velcro on the 'board, and I'm willing to try Dual-Lock on the pedals only.

Miki Dord

Have tried all sort of stuff and for the last 10 years i use zip ties

Find some thinner ply or similar material few mm is enough like 2 or max 3mm, drill holes or lines and simply tie pedals on that and put on top usual pedal board, case etc what ever you use. It you have some sort of board under again you tie the cornets with zip T and it won't move, it last forever as long as you cut them off and above all pedals are clean and there are no glue etc mess on bottom. I hope that helps....it works perfect for me. Plus you can use those clear ones, black what ever you like...

Trending Topics