Velcro on silverface amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blazorge, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Blazorge

Blazorge Member

I have just acquired a '71 SF Princeton Reverb and I'm wondering of the grill cloth frame is attached to the amp with velcro or not. The grill cloth looks like someone blew cigar smoke through it for about forty years and I'd like to remove the frame and give the cloth a bit of a clean up with Resolve or something. I just don't want to damage it by trying to tear off velcro that isn't there.

Thanks very much!

2. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

1971 is one of the transitional years. It's pretty easy to tell if it is secured by Velcro or not: look inside from the back. If it has cleats on either side, then it is a floating baffle (screwed in from the back, no velcro). If not, then it is in fact velcro'ed in and you may remove from the front.

Example of a dado'ed (velcro'ed) baffle (borrowed from an Emporium ad for reference, no affiliation):

[​IMG]

Example of a floating baffle (again, borrowed pic, this one is a Princeton, but same principle):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  3. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

It will be pretty obvious if its not velcroed. You won't be able to hulk a screwed in vaffle off just by pulling on it

4. Blazorge

Blazorge Member

Perfect! Thanks very much for the information.