Velcro vs Dual Lock

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

I think I have heard that Dual Lock may be better then Velcro... but... I have read it can be almost too strong and you cannot remove your pedals.

- Where do you buy it?

- Does it come in more then one strength?

- How much do you use per pedal?

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I don't have the details but ... yes, there are different sizes/strengths (search TGP and you'll prob. find info). It is much stronger generally per area IMO than velcro so a small amount (1-2" squares) will do fine for all but the heaviest pedals.

for ex., see this post for some info and fruit for a google or bing search:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1019672

Jon

3. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I got Industrial Strength Velcro from the local Home Depot. Its works just fine - very tight.

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

^^^^
    I have it & agree it works well.... Dual Lock seems to degrade less (vs. the fuzzy side of velcro)... in part it's personal taste I think.

Jon

5. talanzdad

talanzdad Member

I use velcro, I cover the bottom of my pedals with the loop(fuzzy) side and have the hook on the cross members of my PT-Pro. With larger pedals like my VP or POG2 I have a horrible time getting them off with velcro, I can't imagine using something that would make it harder.

6. mc2

mc2 Member

Dual lock. Use a 1/2" square or 2 and you'll be fine. It's not hard to remove that amount.

The only drawback I have is when someone sends me a velcroed pedal-not compatible.

7. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Dual Lock is my preference. The hold is strong and reliable. You can remove it by prying between the two pieces w/ a flathead screwdriver as you pull up on the pedal or twiting the screwdriver. You won't need as much Dual Lock as you would w/ velcro.

There is a forum member (Slick51) who is selling Dual Lock. He has about 160 feet of the Dual Lock available. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1019811

For MXR sized pedals, I use a .5" x 1" strip of Dual Lock on the top and bottom of the base and the same amount on the pedalboard. It is plenty enough to give you a strong hold.

8. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

jnepo1... thanks for the sizing and contact... sent him a message

9. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

lol

How hard would it be to manufacture 50% hook/50% loop velcro!?

Not hard, but there would be a lot less velcro purchased. ;)

10. Raccoon

Raccoon Active Member

I thought dual lock was a type of Velcro?

I honestly have never had any problems with normal Velcro you'd get at Walmart. Even holds my wahs on the board.

.. and yes I'm a giging musician.

11. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

not even close!

dual lock literally snaps into place, locking the pedal rigidly to the board. (+1 to not needing much at all.) you can then actually lift the entire board by any one pedal.

even strong velcro is a little squishy, allowing some movement.

12. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

13. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yup. Dual lock is overkill IMO. Do you really want to use a screwdriver to pry your pedals off the board everytime you need to move them???

The industrial velcro works great and I can pick my whole pedalboard up by a single pedal too.:banana

14. mc2

mc2 Member

Dual lock in small amounts is NOT overkill! Use a bit the size of a thumbnail-one on the north and one on the south end of the pedal, i.e., one for each rail on a Pedaltrain board. I've used dual lock on my board for years. The small squares are easy to apply, and the pedal is easy to remove. Also, the dual lock adhesive comes off quite easily.

I've purchased pedals that have well over 75% of their backplate covered with velcro-that's a PITA to remove and tells me right there that you need a fair amount to hold the pedal in place. The dual lock tines do not fray and weaken either.

If people have issues removing a pedal with these small amounts, put the guitar down, change into your exercise skirt and start pumping iron, beginning with 5 lb dumbells!:bonk