Velcro wasn't holding my pedals down...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rrhea, Dec 20, 2009.

1. rrhea

rrhea Member

I was having lots of trouble keeping my pedals on my Furman board with the crappy velcro they provided. So I went and got better velcro, but it still didn't help. That's when I decided to get serious and drill some holes! :D

[​IMG]

This method works like a charm, and if you ever decide to move your pedals around just drill more holes. It'd take a lot of drilling before you would compromise the structural integrity of the board like the one I have here.

I have a full write up of the process on my blog:
    http://funguitars.blogspot.com/2009/08/pedal-board-bracket-mods.html

RR

2. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

I simply remove the rubber pads off of all my pedals and slap on some industrial strength Velcro. Never had any problems with them coming off my Pedaltrain (even heavier pedals like the Boss RE-20), but hey... Whatever works for you, go for it.

3. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Most people don't do the twist that's necessary to get Velcro to hold properly.

I have a PT 2 with 9 pedals on it and a PP2 under it. I use the Velcro that came with the PT2

I can pick the whole thing up by any one pedal and it holds.

5. Dissentience

Dissentience Member

Industrial strength velcro works fine for me. I've considered the bike chain method though.

6. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I bought industrial strength velcro for my Gator board, and I might as well have just put the pedals on the board with nothing in between... It's a pain in the butt, so I am looking for new alternatives. Thanks for posting this.

7. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

My problem with velco is that is sticks too much. When I wanna remove a pedal or switch them around, I pull the pedal off and the velco sticks to the back of the board, leaving my pedal velcroless...

8. enge

enge Member

The twisting does make a huge difference when applying your pedals.....to take pedals off, just pick up a .79 plastic scraper...you can get them in different sized widths. Just stick it under a corner of your pedal and start scraping. It really works well

9. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I'll have to try twistin' more :)

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

3m dual lock. insane stick.

11. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

Umm- I feel stupid asking this, but can someone explain "the twisting" part of applying velcro? Is this what they're showing in the video above in post #3?

The scraper to get the velcro to seperate is a good idea, too.

12. ultradust

ultradust Member

And probably the best ever, ironically thanks to their excellent adhesive strip on the other side. A metal spatula in the pedal case is a must for adjustments, but I've found nothing as "safe" to hold things in place.

13. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Ditto...makes me wonder why people are so concerned whether a pedal for sale has velcro...it's pretty easy to get off.

John

14. guitarsgunsnfis

guitarsgunsnfis Member

I got some industrial strength velcro from walmart... my problem now is that the velcro is stronger than the adhesive. I had to use a staple gun to staple the velcro to the board and gorilla glue to stick the velcro to the pedals... the velcro still over powers the gorilla glue

15. lingering_lead

lingering_lead Member

I spent a long time considering non-velcro options before I chose my board. I eventually gave in and used velcro. The "twist" is the trick. And I've found that you must use authentic velcro brand industrial strength hooks. If applied correctly (surface of PEDAL must be CLEAN and preped with alcohol) the industrial strength velcro should hold well enough.

16. zachman

zachman Senior Member

Nah... any flat head screwdriver between the Dual Lock strips will do, for a quick and hassle free removal.

3M Dual Lock FTW

17. rrhea

rrhea Member

The problem I was having was the crappy velcro pulling off the bottom of the Furman board. Just not very well done in general.

I had lived with my board for some time, so I knew I had my pedals where I wanted them, so why not just secure them with brackets? Having the wing nuts to remove them without tools is a real plus. ;)

RR

18. subendo

subendo Member

Which dual-lock version is best for pedalboards? There's a few different types out there...

19. zachman

zachman Senior Member

The clear type, is what I prefer-- and what Custom Audio Electronics and LA Sound Design use for rigs done for touring pros.

20. cooljuk

cooljuk Member

Yep. That's the way to do it.