Velcro Won't Stick to Boss Tap Tempo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jonlarsen002, Dec 21, 2009.

1. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Anybody have any luck securing velcro to the Boss Tap tempo pedal? Right now, I'm holding it down with tie-wraps, but that's a pain in the urethra to move.

2. suckamc

suckamc Member

HAHAHAHA, "pain in the urethra". Awesome.

I freaking hate those rubber-bottomed BOSS pedals. The velcro sticks for a while and then on a hot day, I open up my pedalboard and the pedals are all over the place.

3. Akridosity

Akridosity Member

You can peel of the rubber then attach the velcro.

4. jcbranam

jcbranam Member

I got tired of messing with it and just put in on the floor below my DD7, which is on the pedaltrain. My other Boss pedals do fine with the velcro on the rubber but the tap tempo just won't comply. I have heard that taking a cotton ball of rubbing alcohol to the rubber area before you apply the velcro helps it stick better. Never tried this so YMMV

5. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Take the bottom off and wrap the velcro around the bottom plate so that when you close and screw the bottom on it grips the velcro. This works with most pedals.

6. peterjh85

peterjh85 Member

I used some epoxy/resin along on the velcro and bottom of the FS-5u and it stuck pretty well.

7. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

This.

Just take those pesky rubber pads off and slap some industrial grade Velcro on the back and you're set. I do it to all of my pedals. Especially Boss pedals.

8. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

But anyone who's actually attempted to take off the rubber on the tap tempo pedal knows that it's not as simple as most pedals. It looks like the rubber is basically screwed deep into the insides of the pedal. Weird.

9. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

build a new bottom plate :D or buy a mini tap.... ;)

10. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

same problem here...just cut the strips long enough to wrap up the sides a little. it's not a flat surface, so it's not great, but it keeps you from messing up the pedal (since it's not like other boss pedals). i've had to replace the velcro on mine once in the last year, but other than that, that method has worked for me. I did the same with my wah pedal so i could keep the feet on.

11. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

12. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

13. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

This. I used my wife's nail polish remover to clean off the bottom of my FS5U tap tempo pedal, and stuck the velcro to it... still holding strong.

14. CyrilW

CyrilW Silver Supporting Member

I had the same problem. The rubber bottom of the FS-5U is part of the structure of the pedal. You can't remove it.

I like the idea of unscrewing the bottom, tucking the edges of the velcro into the pedal and screwing the bottom back down. Should work.

15. trentsafford

trentsafford Member

I had the same problem. I fixed it by pulling the rubber off completely. Unscrew the back screws connecting the top of the pedal to the bottom, and unscrew the screws on the circuit board connecting the rubber to the circuit board. Then, using scissors, cut the rubber foot so that only the back half is left. you cut the first inch off (from the wavy part where the cord plugs in to just in in front of the screws attaching the top to bottom). Then, replace the rubber into the circuit board, and screw it in. Then, attach top and bottom, screwing that in as well. now, by where the polarity switch/plug in, there is a metal area to apply velcro to! if you don't replace the rubber to the circuit board, the switch to engage the pedal will not be pushed against the pedal, so it won't work. learned that the hard way! and because where the velcro is is raised anyway, it sticks really well. hope this helps!

16. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

i would return it and get a loop-master tap tempo. super small, and very inexpensive.

17. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Yeah the Boss tap tempo's rubber bottom can't be removed like the pedals....there's no metal plate underneath.

I just keep mine on the floor beside my pedal board.