Velcro yes or no when buying a used stomp... ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Valvehog, Mar 1, 2020.

Do you dislike previously velcro'd stomp boxes when buying used ?

1. hate it

28 vote(s)
    14.2%
  2. I prefer it

9 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. don't care either way

160 vote(s)
    81.2%
  1. oildrops

oildrops Member

I mash a piece of duct tape into the velcro and it cleans out any hair and lint.

Personally I hate dual lock. It's too strong, way overkill unless your tossing your pedalboard around the room. I have to hold my board down and pry the pedals off with force if I want to change them. The glue used to attach it on a pedal is also ridiculous. I much prefer regular, high quality velcro. If it's clean when I get it I don't care.

TedJames likes this.
  2. Zooey

Zooey Member

I bought a pedal that had two long strips of dual lock on it from the manufacturer. I wanted to swap it out quickly once at practice to try something else and it just wouldn't budge from my board that has ordinary loop side velcro on it. I ended up using a drum stick as leverage to pry it up one side, then I could take it off.

I took one of the two strips of dual lock off--kind of. It left a mess on the bottom of the pedal that I can't scrape off, but it least the pedal will come off the board when I want it to. It's an ordinary hammond box so I think I'm just going to buy a new bottom for it.

oildrops likes this.
  3. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

As long as there are no hairs, cat, pubic or otherwise, stuck to the velcro, I don't mind. I'm going to put velcro on anyway.

Valvehog and Thesleepstalker like this.
  4. Waldo E.

Waldo E. Member

I'm not sure that it matters too much? Either way the front of the pedal is what's being used. I use velcro for my board though, it can hold up even the heaviest crybaby

5. TedJames

TedJames Member

Im not sure about that “100%” number. .. I can imagine people put Velcro on for many reasons (I’ve even heard people like it b/c it prevents sliding on carpet). But for my use, and from what I’ve most often seen and heard discussed - the Velcro is only applied to the pedal in order to secure it to a pedal board (esp for protection during transportation) ie the pedal never sits on the floor.

But, I do agree that these things are meant to be stepped on. Not babied.

6. TedJames

TedJames Member

People certainly do get finicky about weird stuff - especially in the music community (which fascinatingly is full of both anal perfectionists and style over substance types) and especially on hobby sites such as this one. I also think that because this can be an expensive hobby ($300 pedals, $$$$ guitars and amps, all the assorted gear - that ain’t cheap, limited demographic) a lot of people buying these things rely on being able to quickly sell them. Thus any cosmetic damage could leave them hanging too far over their skis.

I would also note you’ve got 9 THOUSAND posts on TGP. That’s impressive.

Kevy_Metal and SubApathy like this.
  7. SubApathy

SubApathy Supporting Member

My wife probably wishes that I'd sell some pedals. I buy with the intent of using them/swapping them on and off my board. How does that saying go "Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it". Now I'm going to go find a pedal I can buy...

Side note: Sleewell only posts (on average) 3.42 posts per day...

TedJames likes this.
  8. monty

monty Member

Dont care. Bonus if ít matches the side I need to put it on my board.

tonedover likes this.
  9. TedJames

TedJames Member

Oh you are talking to a card carrying pedal hoarder here.
    Pro hoarder tip - multiple board set ups that you swap in and out depending on what you’re feeling. “Blues board” “psychedelic board” “wacky wtf board” and of course a “guest board.” That way you don’t have a problem - you have a “strategy.”
    Someday you’ll see me on A&E angrily explaining thru tears to the camera crew that the difference between “plate” and “hall” is “completely obvious to anyone!!,” as they walk me to the minivan out front.

I actually don’t mind the Velcro because I put n on myself. However Velcro over the entire bottom of the pedal is a pain because it ends up sticking to the board far too strongly.
    I’ve only encountered the dreaded “wrong side of the Velcro” once on a used pedal (strangely enough from the shop near me where a bunch of the big YouTube guys sell their pedals after the demos - usually a 6 month wait). It came off fine, no residue, BUT hairdryer on a pedal made me nervous.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    SubApathy likes this.
  10. SubApathy

SubApathy Supporting Member

I thought about building another and you just convinced me to do so. It give me the chance to clone my current board, but with some tweaks (volume pedal addition). Time to get out the saw! DYI Board v2 coming up!

TedJames likes this.
  11. dancehall

dancehall Member

uh, do you really think I was unaware of pedalboards? haha

I meant it is down on the floor OR SOME SIMILAR SURFACE 100% of the time it is being used, i.e. you never see the bottom.

12. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

If I have the choice, I prefer no velcro. That said, it can be removed relatively easy if you take your time.

13. TedJames

TedJames Member

NICE .. I feel a little guilty. Peer pressure and all. But it’s all in good fun.

While I mostly play jam band type dad rock, because I’m old. I also have a “weird pedal” obsession. Having multiple boards allows me to indulge that without tearing up my board all the time. Which given how strong some of this Velcro is can be brutal. I often build my own boards as well - and try to keep the Velcro on the lighter side. Unfortunately I bought several rolls of the super strong Home Depot stuff and I’m still working thru that. Someday in my Velcro struggles I’m going to accidentally grab hold of a patch cable plug and do some real damage.
    Having multiple boards also keeps me from dragging the weird stuff along, because I know I won’t be able resist kicking it in at some point and annoying everyone - “you know what would go perfectly at this point in “Badge”? a granular pitch shifting delay!”

SubApathy likes this.
  14. halcyon

halcyon Member

I don’t want anyone else’s gross ass velcro. People are disgusting.

15. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

im praying for a tidal wave

16. 6Tones

6Tones Member

Usually a smelly foot or a dirty sneaker or some greasy guitar player fingers hits the pedal so... does it matter