Velcro

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CarvinGuy, May 11, 2008.

1. CarvinGuy

CarvinGuy Member

Does everyone use velcro to attach pedals to your board?

Are there any other alternatives, or is velcro pretty much the standard?

2. steelplayer

steelplayer Member

I've seen some rigs that were done with black cable ties. Small holes were drilled on the bottom of the rack or pedal board and long cable ties were used to lash the pedals down.

Interesting idea, but I've never gotten around to trying it myself. Seems one would have to think out their layout really well. I'd be missing the ease of position change provided by the velcro.

3. DF1

DF1 Member

3M Dual Lock is great.

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

The cable ties are great,but will leave a pair of holes (in the mounting board) behind,with a pedal change,some of the time,I use them exclusively.

5. ?&!

?&! Member

I have seen some guys use pieces of broken bicycle chain links as pedal mounts. For example, with a Boss pedal, you remove the bottom plate screws, then put the link in as a shim for each screw, then screw the bottom plate back on. That leaves a little tab with a mounting hole sticking out for every corner, which you then screw into your mounting surface. It looks pretty clean, but I change pedals too often. Maybe if I ever find that "magic combination" I'll give it a shot, but I don't see it happening for me!

6. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Most velcro will stick fine to painted pedals, but not powder-coated pedals or boards (like a PedalTrain). You might find that the glue will start to slide and get messy over time. 3M makes a stronger version of velcro called "Dual Lock" that is a form of hook and hook.

The dual lock model you'd want is 3540, in 1 inch width. It says it works with powder-coated finishes. I just got some from the itape store and it sticks INSANELY! Be sure you have it straight when you stick it down. You won't need the 2 inch width, 1 inch is more than enough to hold any pedals. I used the 2 inch, and I have to put a foot up on the board and work to get a pedal removed.

Also, you have to be more careful when removing dual lock from the back of a pedal or wherever. Use GooBeGone or the like, because it doesn't just peel off easily. It can take off paint or loose powercoat, so be sure you want to commit to using it before you try it. Once it's stuck, it's there for a long time...

7. theflyingturtle

theflyingturtle Member

Another +1 for the Dual Lock Tape. I use it to attach a windshield to a motorcycle!!! 100mph + and it holds firm for years.

8. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

That's some trust!!! Shoooot.

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I have never had a problem with Velcro on a Pedal Train or o nay pedals. Its very necessary to clean any surface with rubbing alcohol or the equivalent before installing the Velcro, the its necessary to let it sit for a while, preferably overnight before you subject it to any strain.

10. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I did all of the surface prep (with rubbing alcohol and paper towels, because kleenex has softener chemicals) and didn't use mine for days after securing everything. I began noticing pedals turning sideways from the strain of using the thicker Zaollas I patch with. And, the glue was getting gummy and not holding. This was on the velcro that came with my PedalTrain.

I was one who thought it was a surface prep issue, too, when I heard others complaining about it - not anymore...

11. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

yes...except fpr this one old timer on the bayou who still super glues em...;)

12. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

For easy removal... with a pry bar! :rotflmao

13. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

This works great for some pedals.... I tried it and didn't like not being able to swap pedals easy. Also some pedals had side mounted screws and some with screws too large for the chain link..... you can make it work with different sizes and right angle bends but velcro works just fine for me.

zip ties work great as well... but velcro is my preference.

14. Casey

Casey Member

DUAL LOCK....the best thing....I can't stress this enough. I can pick my whole pedalboard up by one pedal held on with Dual Lock. You can find it online, at Target, or at Radio Shack (in a repackaged box).

15. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

+1... If I put it the long way on my vol pedal, so I had the full length making contact with the board, I could probably do chin-ups off mine. It is velcro on steriods! :bow

16. Bob V

Bob V Member

Saw some Dual Lock at Radio Shack - looks like the stuff that EZ Passes come with to stick to your windshield. My pedalboard already has "industrial" velcro from Lowe's.